|Academic Profile |
| || |
Prof Tan Yap Peng
Acting Chair, School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 5402
- PhD Princeton University 1997
- MA Princeton University 1995
- BS National Taiwan University 1993
|Yap-Peng Tan received the B.S. degree from National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan, in 1993, and the M.A. and Ph.D. degrees from Princeton University, New Jersey, USA, in 1995 and 1997, respectively, all in electrical engineering. From 1997 to 1999, he was with Intel Corporation, Arizona, and Sharp Laboratories of America, Washington, USA. In November 1999, he joined the Nanyang Technological University (NTU) of Singapore, where he is currently Professor and Acting Chair of the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering (EEE). He was Head of Division of Information Engineering from 2005 to 2011 and Associate Chair (Academic) of the School of EEE from 2011 to 2018, the Founding Director of INFINITUS Infocomm Research Centre from 2011 to 2013, and a member of the NTU Senate Committee on curriculum matters from 2013 to 2014. His current research interests include image and video processing, content-based multimedia analysis, computer vision, pattern recognition, machine learning, and data analytics. |
Yap-Peng has served as Associate Editor for IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, IEEE Signal Processing Letters, and IEEE Access. He is on the Editorial Boards of EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing and EURASIP Journal on Image and Video Processing. He also served as Associate Editor for Journal of VLSI Signal Processing Systems for Signal, Image and Video Technology and Guest Editor for 4 special issues in international journals. In addition, he served as the Chair of the Visual Signal Processing and Communications Technical Committee of the IEEE Circuits and Systems Society from 2012 to 2014, Chair of the Membership & Election Subcommittee of the Multimedia Systems and Applications Technical Committee of the IEEE Circuits and Systems Society from 2013 to 2017, Chair of the Nominations and Elections Subcommittee of the Multimedia Signal Processing Technical Committee of the IEEE Signal Processing Society from 2012 to 2013, and Chairman of the IEEE Signal Processing Singapore Chapter from 2009 to 2010. He also served as General Co-Chair of the IEEE International Conference on Visual Communications and Image Processing (VCIP 2015), Technical Program Co-Chair of the IEEE International Conference on Multimedia & Expo (ICME 2015 & ICME 2018), and General Co-Chair of the IEEE International Conference on Multimedia & Expo (ICME 2010). He is Technical Program Co-Chair for the IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP 2019) and Chair of the Steering Committee for the IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME) from 2018 to 2019. He is an IEEE Fellow.
|Image and Video Processing; Multimedia Computing; Computer Vision; Pattern Recognition; Machine Learning; Data Analytics.|
- Monetary Academic Resources
- Visual Object Retrieval and Recognition
- Jiwen Lu, Junlin Hu, and Yap-Peng Tan. (2017). Discriminative Deep Metric Learning for Face and Kinship Verification. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 26(9), 4269-4282.
- Yingcai Wu, Nan Cao, David Gotz, Yap-Peng Tan, and Daniel A. Keim. (2016). A Survey on Visual Analytics of Social Media Data. IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, 18(11), 2135 - 2148.
- Jiwen Lu, Yap-Peng Tan, and Gang Wang. (2013). Discriminative Multimanifold Analysis for Face Recognition from a Single Training Sample per Person. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 35(1), 39-51.
- Wenmiao Lu and Yap-Peng Tan. (2003). Color Filter Array Demosaicking: New Method and Performance Measures. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 12(10), 1194-1210.
- Tan Yap Peng, Drew D. Saur, Sanjeev R. Kulkarni, and Peter J. Ramadge. (2000). Rapid Estimation of Camera Motion from Compressed Video with Application to Video Annotation. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, 10(1), 133-146.