|Academic Profile |
| || |
Assoc Prof Fan Weijun
Associate Professor, School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
|W. J. Fan received the B. Eng degree in applied physics from National University of Defense Technology, Changsha, China, in 1987, the M. S. degree from the Institute of Semiconductors, Chinese Academy of Science, Beijing, China, in 1990, and the Ph. D. degree in electrical engineering from National University of Singapore, in 1997. From 1990 to 1994, he joined the Institute of Semiconductors, Chinese Academy of Science as a Research Assistant. From 1996 to 1999, he joined MBE Technology Pte. Ltd., Singapore as a System Engineer. From 1999 to 2000, he was a Process Engineer at Agilent Technologies, Singapore. From 2000 to 2005, he was an Assistant Professor in Nanyang Technological University. From 2005 to now, he is an Associate Professor in Nanyang Technological University. His research interests include semiconductor band structure calculations; semiconductor material growth, characterizations and photonic device fabrications; Si photonics; Spintronics. He authored/co-authored > 140 refereed journal papers and >100 conference presentations including 10 plenary/invited talks . According to SCI (Web of Science), the total external citations > 2300 times, his h index is 22. He co-authored two book chapters. He was awarded JAP outstanding author in 2013. The granted research funding > S$6 M from NRF, MOE, ASTAR, DARPA(USA) and NSG(Japan) as PI/Co-PI. He graduated > 8 PhD students as Main/Co-supervisor. He visited MIT, Lehigh, Southampton, Bristol, and Aston Universities. He is the Founding Vice President of INTERNATIONAL OPTOFLUIDICS ORGANIZATION since 2016, and the Founding Teaser of Semiconductor Optoelectronics Society since 2017. He was the Founding Director of KdotP Soft Pte Ltd in 2015-2016. He was the scientific committee member, reviewer and optoelectronics session co-chair of Symposium J of ICMAT 2005. He was the Technical Programme Committee Member of Integrated Optoelectronic Devices and Optical Processors of the 43rd European Conference on Optical Communication (ECOC) 2017, Sweden. He served as Chair of Symposium B of the 9th International Conference on Materials for Advanced Technologies, Singapore 2017, and Co-Chair of CLEO-PR, OECC and PGC 2017: Symposium J1 Semiconductor and Integrated Optical Devices. He served as reviewer of APPL PHYS LETT, J APPL PHYS, NANO LETTERS etc.|
|His research interests include semiconductor band structure calculations by using effective mass theory, the first-principles method and empirical pseudopotential method (EPM); Compound semiconductor material growth, characterizations and device fabrications; Si photonics; Spintronics.|
- Germanium-Based Materials for Silicon-Compatible Near-IR and Mid-IR Light Source
- Hybrid Nanostructure Mid-wave Infrared Harsh Environment Compatible Sensors for Industry Applications
- Modelling and Experimental Comparison of a New Class All-inorganic Perovskite Quantum Dots
- Quantum Topological Devices and 3D Nanophotonic Integration
- Quasi-2D Semiconductor Optoelectronics: From LEDs to Lasers
- B. S. Ma, W. J. Fan, Y. X. Dang, W. K. Cheah, and S. F. Yoon. (2007). Annealing effects on the optical properties of a GaInNAs double barrier quantum well infrared photodetector. Applied Physics Letters, 91, 041905-1-3.
- S. T. Ng, W. J. Fan, Y. X. Dang, and S. F. Yoon. (2005). Comparison of electronic band structure and optical transparency conditions of InxGa1-xAs1-yNy/GaAs quantum well calculated by 10-band, 8-band, and 6-band k.p models. Physical Review B (Condensed Matter and Materials Physics), B72, 115341.
- W. J. Fan, S. F. Yoon, T. K. Ng, S. Z. Wang, and W. K. Loke. (2002). Comparison of nitrogen compositions in the as-grown GaNAs on GaAs measured by high-resolution x-ray diffraction and secondary-ion mass spectroscopy. Applied Physics Letters, 80(22), 4136-4138.
- W. J. Fan, M. F. Li, T. C. Chong, and J. B. Xia. (1996). Electronic properties of zinc-blende GaN, AlN and their alloy Ga1-xAlx N. Journal of Applied Physics, 79, 188-194.
- Jian-Bai Xia and Wei-Jun Fan. (1989). Electronic structures of superlattices under in-plane magnetic field. Physical Review B (Condensed Matter and Materials Physics), 40, 8508-8515.