|Academic Profile |
| || |
Prof Shum Ping
Professor, School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
|P. Shum received the B. Eng. and PhD degrees in electronic and electrical engineering from of the University of Birmingham, UK, in 1991 and 1995, respectively. After PhD graduation, he stay in the same university as an honorary postdoctoral research fellow. In 1996, he carried out research in semiconductor laser and high speed optical laser communication in the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Hong Kong University. Since July 1997, Dr. P. Shum joined the Department of Electronic Engineering, Optoelectronics Research Centre, City University of Hong Kong. In 1998, he has received the IEEE EDS/MTTS India Chapter best paper award for his paper in Photonics-98. In 2002, he received the best paper award at the 3rd International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology. In 1999, Dr. Shum joined the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Nanyang Technological University. He is the founding member of IEEE LEOS chapter in Singapore. Since 2002, he has been appointed as the Director of Network Technology Research Centre. He received the Singapore National Academy of Science Young Scientist Award in 2002. Dr. Shum has published more than 300 international journal and conference papers. He is the technical program chair of ICOCN 2003 and committee members and international advisor of many international conferences. His research interests are concerned with optical communications, nonlinear waveguide modelling, fibre gratings and WDM communication systems.|
Interactive and digital media
- Development of Backward Combiner for Fiber Laser
- Fibre- Based Optofluidic Biosensors for Small-Molecules DNA Detection
- High Energy Pulsed Fibre Laser
- High Power Fiber Laser
- High power cladding-pumped cascaded Raman fibre sources for mid-IR wavelengths
- High-Performance Metal-Insulator-Semiconductor Thermoelectric Fibers
- In-Country Fibre Capability Buildup
- Next Generation Broadband, Compact, Ultra-sensitive, Real-time, Tunable Laser Spectroscopy Analyzer
- Novel Photonic Devices For Third-Order Parametric Downconversion
- Rapid Automated Peripheral Non-Invasive Diagnostic (RAPID) Optical Measurement of Blood Parameters
- Sub-Project 6- Electro-optically Active Ring Devices for CMOS-Compatible Devices
- Sub-project 5 - Photonic Instantaneous Frequency Measurement Based On Microwave Frequency to Optical Power Mapping
- Sub-project 6 - Design and Application of Highly Dispersive Photonoic Crystal Fibers
- KAI JIANG, SONGNIAN FU, PING SHUM,CHINLON LIN. (2010). A wavelength-Switchable Passively Harmonically Mode-locked Fiber Laser with Low Pumping Threshold Using Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes. IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, .
- H. Dong, P. Shum and M. Tang. (2008). Measurement of First- to Fourth-Order Polarization Mode Dispersion in Optical Fibers. OFC/NFOEC 2008 (pp. JWA12).
- X. Yu, P. Shum, G. Ren and N. Q. Ngo. (2008). Photonic crystal fibers with high index infiltrations for refractive index sensing. Optics Communications, 281(18), 4555-4559.
- X. Xiao, P. Shum, E. S. Nazemosadat, and C. Yang. (2008). Four-Wave Mixing of Pulsed Signal in Dispersion-Shifted Fiber with Pump Depletion. IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, 20(14), 1231-1233.
- H. Q. Lam, P. Shum, L. N. Binh, Y.D. Gong and S.N. Fu. (2008). Series Analysis of Active Mode-Locked Laser Under the Influence of ASE Noise. Journal of Lightwave Technology , 26(12), 1671-1680.
« Back to Category Write-up