|Young-Jin KIM received his Bachelor, Master, and Ph. D degrees from Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), South Korea. He has worked as a research associate professor in KAIST and led three Korean NRF projects on ‘ultrafast photonics’ as the principal investigator. Since 2011, he was co-affiliated at Quantum Electronics and Photonics Division in National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), United States for research works on high-precision absolute ranging to multiple space objects.|
He has actively participated in the field of the ‘ultrafast photonics’ since 2004; developed a series of optical frequency comb; established the ‘definition of a meter’ in real world by precisely measuring absolute length and surface profiles using frequency combs; expanded the wavelength regime of the frequency comb into VUV regime by plasmonic field enhancement; demonstrated the world-first femtosecond laser system in outer space. He will establish ‘ultra-precision’ based on ‘ultrafast photonics’ in NTU for mass production of next-generation semiconductor, flat-panel display, photovoltaic products and advance the ‘ultrafast photonics’ technology for bio-medical diagnosis and future space LIDARs.
|Ultrafast Photonics for Ultra-Precision:|
Advancing the ultra-precision light source technology from IR to EUV regime by ultra-short femtosecond lasers, and its interdisciplinary applications including precision metrology, optical communication, surface topography, biomedical diagnosis, space LIDARs and nano/micro material processing.
- H. Lee, M. J. Low, C. H. J. Lim, J. An, C. S. S. Sandeep, T. M. Rohith, H. -G. Rhee. V. M. Murukeshan, and Y. -J. Kim. (2019). Transferable ultra-thin multi-level micro-optics patterned by tunable photoreduction and photoablation for hybrid optics. Carbon, 149, 572.
- Shweta, Agarwala; Guo Liang, Goh; Truong-Son Dinh, Le; Jianing, An; Zhen Kai, Peh; Wai Yee, Yeong; Young-Jin, Kim. (2019). Wearable Bandage based Strain Sensor for Home Healthcare: Combining 3D Aerosol Jet Printing and Laser Sintering. ACS Sensors, 4, 218-226.
- Kim Young Jin, %Hamid Farrokhi, Thazhe Madam Rohith, BOONRUANGKAN JEERANAN. (2017). High-brightness low-speckle laser imaging enabled by electroactive optical diffusers. Scientific Reports, 7(15318).
- Chin Huat Joel Lim, Hyub Lee, Mun Ji Low, Vadakke Matham Murukeshan, Young-Jin Kim. (2017). Photoreduction of graphene oxides using a femtosecond laser: photothermal and photochemical contributions. Pacific Rim Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO-Pacific Rim).
- Mun Ji Low, Hyub Lee, Chin Huat Joel Lim, Vadakke Matham Murukeshan, Young-Jin Kim. (2017). Direct laser writing of graphene oxide patterns using femtosecond laser pulses with different repetition rates. Pacific Rim Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO-Pacific Rim).