Prof Guan is currently a Professor & Program Director, Strategic Collaboration, in the School of Computer Science and Engineering, Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore. Prior to joining NTU in 2016, he was the founding Department Head of Neural & Biomedical Technology Department and a Principal Scientist (RSE6) at the Institute for Infocomm Research (I2R), Agency for Science, Technology, and Research (A*SATR), Singapore. He is currently the Co-Director of the NTU-NNI Neurotechnology Fellowship Program. He serves on the Advisory Board of Elite Master Program in Neuroengineering, Technische Universität München (TUM), Germany. He is a Member of National Medical Research Council Open Fund IRG Review Panel, MOH, Singapore. He is on the Steering Committee of Ageing Research Institute for Society and Education (ARISE), NTU. He serves as the Chief Scientist of Neeuro Pte Ltd, Singapore. He is also a scientific advisor to several other companies. He is a Fellow of IEEE.
He serves as an Associate Editor for IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Neurocomputing, Brain-Computer Interfaces, Frontiers in Neuroscience, IEEE Access (2012-2018), A*STAR Research Publication (2013-2016), and Guest-Editor for IEEE Computational Intelligence Magazine (2016). He was in the IEEE Fellow Evaluation Committee for EMBS Society, 2018. He was an APSIPA Distinguished Lecturer, 2017-2018. He served as the General Co-Chair for IEEE ICAA’2018, Conference Chair for Internet of Things (IoT) Asia 2015, and General Chair for the IEEE HealthCom 2008.
He served as the founding Co-Director of the Rehabilitation Research Institute of Singapore (RRIS). He served as the A*STAR MedTech Program Leader of Neuro-Technology. He was the Chair of Neuro-Technology Subpanel and a Member of National Taskforce on Neurological & Sense Disorders, appointed by HBMS EXCO. He was a Member of A*STAR Biomedical Engineering Program (BEP) Fund Review Panel. He served as the Chairman of IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Chapter, Singapore Section, 2010-2012. He was the President of Pattern Recognition and Machine Intelligence Association (PREMIA), Singapore, 2008-2010.
His research interests are in the fields of Brain-Computer Interfaces (BCI), Neural Signal Processing, Neural Image Processing, Machine Learning, Data Analytics, and Artificial Intelligence. He published 6 book chapters, 330 refereed journal and conference papers, and holds 25 granted patents and patent applications. He licensed numerous patents to USA and Singapore-based companies. He secured over $20M competitive research grant in the past few years. As a leading scientist in BCI field, he delivered more than 60 keynote speeches and invited talks (including the keynote, Brain-Computer Interfaces for Stroke Rehabilitation, at the opening ceremony of the 7th International BCI Meeting, Asilomar, USA, May 2018). He is a recipient of the Annual BCI Research Award, the IES Prestigious Engineering Achievement Award, Achiever of the Year (Research) Award, Finalist of President Technology Award, and winner of BCI Competitions.
He played a leadership role in establishing medical technology research and development in A*STAR. He was the A*STAR MedTech Program Leader of Neuro-Technology to lead and coordinate the neuro-technology effort at A*STAR. He initiated and co-established the Rehabilitation Research Institute of Singapore (RRIS) – an initiative between A*STAR, NTU, and National Health Group. He established medical research at the Institute of InfocommResearch including founding and directing the I2R Brain-Computer Interface Lab, the Neural & Biomedical Technology Department, and two sizeable medical-technology research programs (with a strength of 60-80). Under his leadership, his group licensed technologies to 10 companies, led to 3 start-up companies and 2 spin-off companies. Their licensees raised over $65M fund collectively.
- Ravikiran Mane, Effie Chew, Kok Soon Phua, Kai Keng Ang, Neethu Robinson, A. P. Vinod, and Cuntai Guan. (2019). Prognostic and Monitory EEG-Biomarkers for BCI Upper-limb Stroke Rehabilitation. IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, 2019, 1-10.
- Siavash Sakhavi, Cuntai Guan, Shuicheng Yan. (2018). Learning Temporal Information for Brain-Computer Interface using Convolutional Neural Networks. IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, 29(11), 5619-5629.
- Xinyang Li, Cuntai Guan, Haihong Zhang, Kai Keng Ang. (2017). A Unified Fisher's Ratio Learning Method for Spatial Filter Optimization. IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, 28(11), 2727-2737.
- Huibin Chang, Weimin Huang, Chunlin Wu, Su Huang, Cuntai Guan, Sakthivel Sekar, Kishore Kumar Bhakoo, Yuping Duan. (2017). A New Variational Method for Bias Correction and its Applications to Rodent Brain Extraction. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, 36(3), 721-733.
- Kai Keng Ang, Cuntai Guan. (2015). Brain-Computer Interface for Neurorehabilitation of Upper Limb After Stroke. Proceedings of the IEEE, 103(6), 944-953.