|Academic Profile |
| || |
Assoc Prof Tiong Lee Kong, Robert
Associate Professor, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Phone: +65 67905253
Office: N1 01C 72
|Bio-data of Assoc Prof Robert L K Tiong, School of Civil & Environmental Engineering, NTU
Dr Robert Tiong is an Associate Professor in School of Civil & Environmental Engineering, as well as Deputy Director of Centre for Infrastructure Systems at Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. He is the Program Director of the MSc Programme in International Construction Management since its inception in 1991. Dr Tiong graduated in 1981 from University of Glasgow with First Class Honours in Civil Engineering, with specialisation in management. He obtained his M.Eng on Construction Engineering & Management, from University of California, Berkeley in 1987 and his PhD in 1994 from NTU.
His research and consulting interests focus on integrated risk analysis and economics, financing, management, and project procurement for infrastructure projects. More recently, he has focussed on catastrophe risk management, alternative risk transfer and financing for natural hazards and catastrophes such as floods and earthquakes. He has published extensively including a monograph on “The Structuring of Build-Operate-Transfer (BOT) Projects”, a research report on “Evaluation of risks in BOT projects”, and a book chapter on “Public-Private Partnership for Infrastructure Projects: An Asian Dimension”. He was also a reviewer for the UNIDO Guidelines for the Development, Negotiation, and Contracting of BOT Projects. He has worked with the Asian Development Bank and the World Bank on risk analysis and management of infrastructure projects. Recently, he has been involved in the study of Clean Energy Development and Carbon Credit Finance for hydro-power projects in developing countries such as Vietnam.
|Areas of research interests:
1. catastrophe risk assessment and management
2. alternative risk transfer mechanisms and financing
3. catastrophe micro-insurance
4. sustainable development and systems,
5. impact of climate change, carbon finance and carbon emission reductions
6. integrated risk analysis
- Adaptive Robotic Workcell for Standard Precast Construction Unit Manufacturing
- Catastrophes along maritime networks (ICRM)
- Construction Industry 4.0 - Productive Technologies for Construction Informatics, Transformation, and IDD (Integrated digital delivery)
- Development of Quantitative Urban Environment Simulation Tool (QUEST) - Geospatial Services
- Discovering linkages between social behaviours and process productivity in collaborative design
- Drone Inspection System for Building Facade
- Enabling the role of building information modeling (BIM) for construction productivity
- Flood Risk Simulation Model for Jakarta, Indonesia (ICRM)
- Integrated Digital Delivery and Construction Informatics System (IDDCIS) for Precast Manufacturer
- Pilot Implementation of an Integrated BIM-based Onsite Logistics Management and Smart Crane System for JTC Industrial Project
- Process transformation for rail projects towards the BIM/VDC-based technologically enhanced workflow
- Research Programme on Exposure & Vulnerability of Marine Cargo to Natural Hazards_Research Stream 1: Marine Cargo Exposure (ICRM)
- Research Programme on Exposure & Vulnerability of Marine Cargo to Natural Hazards_Research Stream 2: Marine Cargo Vulnerability (ICRM)
- Smart Crane System 1.0 with Integrated Building Information System (IBIS) for Smart Precast/Prefab Construction
- Third Party Motor Liability Insurance (ICRM)
- Understanding Fire Resistance and Termite Protection of Softwood Based CLT in Tropical Conditions
- Lin, J , Tai, K., Tiong, R.L.K. and Sim, M.S. (2017). Analysing Impact on Critical Infrastructure Using Input-Output Interdependency Model: Case Studies. ASCE-ASME Journal of Risk and Uncertainty in Engineering Systems, Part A: Civil Engineering , 3(4).
- Tushar Nath, Meghdad Attarzadeh,Robert L. K. Tiong. (2016). Precast workflow productivity measurement through BIM adoption. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers,Management, Procurement and Law, , DOI: 10.1680/jmapl.15.00045.
- Lili Liu, I-Ming Chen, Erdal Kayacan, Lee Kong Tiong and Varun Maruvanchery. (2015). MECHATRONICS AND ITS APPLICATIONS. INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM. 10TH 2015. (ISMA 2015): Automated Construction Quality Assessment: A review. 10th, International Symposium on Mechatronics and its ApplicationsInstitute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers ( IEEE ).
- Lee, Irene Y. L.; Chen, Huiyu*; Tiong, Robert L. K. (2015). An Investigation into Tenant Organizations’ Willingness-to-Pay for the Intangible Value-Added Benefits of Sustainable Buildings: Case Study in Singapore. the Journal of Green Building, 10(N3).
- Meghdad Attarzadeh, Tushar Nath, Robert L. K. Tiong. (2015). Identifying key factors for building information modelling adoption in Singapore. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers,Management, Procurement and Law, Volume 168(Issue MP5), Pages 220–231.