Yow Cheun Hoe is associate professor at Nanyang Technological University, where he is Head of the Division of Chinese, Director of the Chinese Heritage Centre, and Director of the Centre for Chinese Language and Culture. He is a chief editor for Huaren Yanjiu Guoji Xuebao (International Journal of Diasporic Chinese Studies). His academic interests and areas include Chinese migrants and diaspora, qiaoxiang (Overseas Chinese homelands) ties, and diasporic Chinese literature. He was a Fulbright scholar, visiting the Centre for Comparative Immigration Studies, University of California San Diego, 2013. His recent books are Yimin guiji he lisan lunshu: Xin Ma huaren zuqun de chongceng mailuo (Migration Trajectories and Diasporic Discourses: Multiples Contexts of Ethnic Chinese in Singapore and Malaysia)(Shanghai Sanlian Shudia, 2014); Guangdong and Chinese Diaspora: The Changing Landscape of Qiaoxiang (London & New York: Routledge, 2013); Antara China dengan Tanah Tempatan Ini: Satu Kajian Pemikiran Dwipusat Penulis Cina 1919-1957 (Between China and This Local Land: A Study of Dual-Centred Mentality of Chinese Writers in Malaya, 1919-1957)(Penang: Universiti Sains Malaysia Press, 2011). His articles appear in journals such as Journal of Contemporary China, Modern Asian Studies, Asian Ethnicity, Cross-Cultural Studies, Changjiang Xueshu, and Waiguo Wenxue Yanjiu. He is a member in International Society of the Study of Chinese Overseas; Tan Kah Kee International Society; Member; Tan Kah Kee Foundation. He is President, Singapore Society of Asian Studies.
Research Areas and Projects
• Yow Cheun Hoe’s research areas include Chinese migrations and diaspora, qiaoxiang (Overseas Chinese homelands) ties, and diasporic Chinese literature.
• He is working as a co-principal investigator for a project on “Singapore Comparative Literature Database (with accompanying workshop and compendium)(MOE AcRE Tier 1 2017 Research Grant), which is led by Assoc Prof Sim Wai Chew.
• HC2060 Chinese Education in Southeast Asia
• HC2061/261 Chinese Literature in Singapore and Malaysia
• HC4060 Globalization and Chinese Overseas
Honors and Awards
• Koh Boon Hwee Scholar Award 2016, for inspirational mentorship of Zhou Hao, School of Humanities and Social Sciences, Nanyang Technological University.
• Commendation Medal, 2015 Singapore’s National Day Awards.
• Nanyang Technological University 10 Years Long Service Award, 30 June 2015.
• 2012 Fulbright Singapore Researcher Program (Grantee ID: 68120499), visiting the Center for Comparative Immigration Studies, University of California San Diego, May-July 2013.
• PhD, East Asian Institute, National University of Singapore, 2002.
• MA, History, School of Humanities, Universiti Sains Malaysia, 1999.
• BA (Hons) (Second Upper) (Major in History, Minor in Literature), School of Humanities, Universiti Sains Malaysia, 1996.
• Member, International Society of the Study of Chinese Overseas 世界海外华人研究学会 since 2004.
• Member, Tan Kah Kee International Society 陈嘉庚国际学会 since November 2017.
• Member, Tan Kah Kee Foundation 陈嘉庚基金 since November 2017.
• President, Singapore Society of Asian Studies 新加坡亚洲研究学会, since August 2018.
• Vice President, Singapore Society of Asian Studies 新加坡亚洲研究学会, May 2012-July 2018.
• Member, Singapore Society of Asian Studies 新加坡亚洲研究学会since August 2005.
• Research Committee, Singapore Society of Asian Studies 新加坡亚洲研究学会since March 2008-May 2012.
• Member, The Huayinet, November 2007-April 2009.
- Yow Cheun Hoe. (2019, March). “Lisan huawen wenxue yu quanqiu mailuo: zhenghe, qufen, lianjie” 离散华文文学与全球脉络：整合、区分、连接 (Diasporic Chinese Literature and Global Context: Integration, Difference, Connection). Paper presented at “Chinese Culture in the Global Context International Conference 2019,” in Hong Kong, organized by the School of Arts and Social Sciences and the Tin Ka Ping Centre of Chinese Culture, the Open University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong.
- Yow Cheun Hoe. (2019, January). “Huaqiao huaren yanjiu de goujian: Yi Nanyang Ligong Daxue Huayiguan wei li” 华侨华人研究的建构：以南洋理工大学华裔馆为例 (Institutionalization of Diasporic Chinese Studies: A Case Study of Chinese Heritage Centre, Nanyang Technological University). Paper presented at Keynote Speech at the Opening Ceremony of Philippine Research Center, Central Chinese Normal University, Philippine Research Center, Central Chinese Normal University.
- Yow Cheun Hoe. (2018, November). “Lisan de ciyu: Sihai Wei Shi huayu xinshi anli yanjiu” 离散的词语：《四海为诗》华语新诗案例研究 (Diasporic Language: A Case Study of Modern Chinese Poetry on Poetry across Oceans). Paper presented at presented at the School of Humanities, Guangxi University for Nationalities, School of Humanities, Guangxi University for Nationalities.
- Yow Cheun Hoe. (2018, August). “China’s ‘Belt and Road Initiative’ and Malaysian’s Responses”. Paper presented at International Conference on “The Study of Chinese Immigration to Brazil: Local Contexts and Global Perspectives”, organized by University of Sao Paula, Sao Paulo, Brazil.
- Yow Cheun Hoe. (2018). Book Review on Meridith Oyen, The Diplomacy of Migration: Transnational Lives and the Making of U.S.-Chinese Relations in the Cold War. The United States in the World (Ithaca; London: Cornel University Press, 2015). [Review of the book Book Review on Meridith Oyen, The Diplomacy of Migration: Transnational Lives and the Making of U.S.-Chinese Relations in the Cold War. The United States in the World (Ithaca; London: Cornel University Press, 2015).] Pacific Affairs, 91 (3), 600-602.