|Academic Profile |
| || |
Assoc Prof Low Bak Kong
Associate Professor, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Phone: +65 67905270
Office: N1 01B 40
|Bak Kong Low obtained his BS and MS degrees from MIT, and PhD degree from U.C.Berkeley. He is a Fellow of the American Society of Civil Engineers, and a registered professional engineer of Malaysia.|
B.K. Low is the recipient of the 2019 Thomas A. Middlebrooks Award, a prestigious award from the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), for his paper "Insights from Reliability-Based Design to Complement Load and Resistance Factor Design Approach," that appeared in the November 2017 issue of Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, https://ascelibrary.org/doi/10.1061/%28ASCE%29GT.1943-5606.0001795.
Apart from his long teaching and research career at NTU Singapore, he also conducted research while on sabbatical leaves at HKUST (Sept-Dec 1996), University of Texas at Austin (Jan-April 1997) and Norwegian Geotechnical Institute (May- August 2006). His research interest and publications can be found at http://alum.mit.edu/www/bklow.
Courses he taught over his years at NTU include topics on engineering geology, soil improvement methods, soil mechanics, foundation engineering, earth retaining structures, soil slope stability, rock slope stability, calculus, informal logic and writing skills, applied statistical methods, stereographic projection, rock mechanics and underground rock engineering.
He lives in Singapore with his wife and two children. He likes nature, traveling and reading.
|Reliability analysis in geotechnical engineering, soil and rock slope stability, ground improvement, rock engineering, and engineering analysis accounting for uncertainty.|
Current research works focus on geotechnical reliability-based design with insights for improving the evolving Eurocode 7 and the Load and Resistance Factor Design approach, for example as presented in his ASCE JGGE paper https://ascelibrary.org/doi/10.1061/%28ASCE%29GT.1943-5606.0001795, and his Chapter 4 of the ISSMGE TC205-TC304 joint report “Discussion of Statistical/Reliability Methods for Eurocodes” (the PDF file under the "Book Chapters" folder at http://alum.mit.edu/www/bklow).
Web of Science citation count and h-index are available at https://publons.com/researcher/2817861/Bak-Kong-Low/.
- Web-Based 3D GeoData Modelling and Management System (GeM2S)
- Low, B.K. (2019). Probabilistic insights on a soil slope in San Francisco and a rock slope in Hong Kong, Georisk: Assessment and Management of Risk for Engineered Systems and Geohazards, Taylor & Francis, London, DOI: 10.1080/17499518.2019.1606923. Georisk, .
- Huaxin Liu, Bak Kong Low. (2018). Reliability-based design of tunnelling problems and insights for Eurocode 7. Computers and Geotechnics, 97, 42-51.
- Low, B.K. (2017). Insights from Reliability-Based Design to Complement Load and Resistance Factor Design Approach. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 143(11), https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0001795.
- Liu, H., Low, B.K. (2017). System reliability analysis of tunnels reinforced by rockbolts. Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, 65, 155-166.
- Song, L., Li, H.-Z., Chan, C.L., Low, B.K. (2016). Reliability analysis of underground excavation in elastic-strain-softening rock mass. Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, 60, 66-79.