|Sourav S Bhowmick is a computer scientist, an educator, and a painter. He leads the data management research group (DANTe) in SCSE. He was a Visiting Assoc. Professor at the Biological Engineering Division, MIT during 2007-2013. His core research expertise is in data management, human-data interaction, and data analytics. He is more excited to solving problems not within the mainstream of these fields that require new perspectives instead of yet another solution to a traditional problem. Consequently, his research interests are multi-disciplinary in flavor (e.g., data analytics and system biology, social psychology and data analytics, cognitive psychology and data management, abstract art and social analytics), focusing primarily on developing novel paradigms, algorithms, technology, and software to improve efficiency of software as well as humans. In particular, he is a pioneer in bridging HCI and data management, social psychology and online social influence, and abstract art and online social discussions. |
Sourav has published more than 90 papers in top-tier data management, data mining, multimedia, bioinformatics, and systems biology venues such as ACM SIGMOD, VLDB, IEEE ICDE, ACM WWW, CIDR, ACM MM, ACM SIGIR, IEEE TKDE, VLDB Journal, Bioinformatics, and Biophysical Journal. The common thread running through his research is a focus on going beyond papers to build usable novel prototypes. Specifically, he has successfully demonstrated more than 20 novel research prototypes in top-tier conferences, which is the highest among all data management researchers in Australasia. He has received Best Paper Awards at ACM CIKM 2004 and ACM BCB 2011 for papers related to evolution mining and biological network summarization, respectively. His work on influence maximization was nominated for the best paper award in SIGMOD 2015. His XML data management framework for biological data was part of the product of a local startup HeliXense Pte Ltd in 2002. He has co-authored books on “Summarizing Biological Networks” and “Human Interaction with Graphs”, which are published by Springer-Verlag (May 2017) and Morgan & Claypool (August 2018) publishers, respectively. His research is supported by over S$4M in research grant from the Singapore-MIT Alliance and the Ministry of Education (4 Tier 2s, 5 Tier 1s).
Sourav regularly serves as a reviewer for premium data management, data analytics, and bioinformatics conferences (e.g., SIGMOD, VLDB) and journals (e.g., TODS, VLDB Journal, Bioinformatics). He has served as a program chair/co-chair, area chair, keynote and tutorial speaker for several international conferences and workshops. He is a member of the editorial boards of IEEE TKDE, JASIST, and DAPD. He is currently serving as a member of the steering committee of DASFAA. He is a co-recipient of the VLDB Service Award in 2018 from the VLDB Endowment for his contribution in designing an efficient PVLDB proceedings management framework.
Sourav have strong interest and passion for teaching undergraduate and graduate students. He was Nominated for the Excellence in Teaching Award for 3 consecutive years (2003, 2004, 2005). He was recipient of Lecturer of the Year Award (2002-2003) for Year 1 undergraduate course. He has closely advised several doctoral students who have successfully found faculty or Post Doc positions in leading universities such as Harvard, Penn State, Univ of Technology@Sydney, Xidian Univ, and TU Delft. Sourav have been invited twice (2011 and 2013) by the Database Society of Japan to mentor graduate students in Japan.
Lastly, Sourav is an avid painter. His interest lies in blending realism and expressionism styles of painting related to contemporary global and local issues such as refugee crisis, environmental issues, etc. Some of his paintings have been sold for social causes such as contributions to elderly care and children suffering from rare diseases. He has given public exhibitions and talks of his paintings.
- Christina Lui, Sourav S Bhowmick, Adam Jatowt. (2019). Proceedings of 42nd international ACM SIGIR conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval (ACM SIGIR 2019): KANDINSKY: Abstract Art-Inspired Visualization of Social Discussions. ACM SIGIRParis, France: ACM.
- Kai Huang, Huey Eng Chua, Sourav S Bhowmick, Byron Choi, Shuigeng Zhou. (2019). Proceedings of 45th ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data (ACM SIGMOD 2019): CATAPULT: Data-driven Selection of Canned Patterns for Efficient Visual Graph Query Formulation. ACM SIGMODAmsterdam, The Netherlands: ACM.
- Yinglong Song, Huey Eng Chua, Sourav S Bhowmick, Byron Choi, Shuigeng Zhou. (2018). BOOMER: Blending Visual Formulation and Processing of p-Homomorphic Queries on Large Networks. ACM SIGMOD 2018.
- Huey Eng Chua, Sourav S Bhowmick, Lisa Tucker-Kellogg. (2017). Synergistic Target Combination Prediction From Curated Signaling Networks: Machine Learning Meets Systems Biology and Pharmacology. Methods, 129(1), 60-80.
- Hui Li, Sourav S Bhowmick, Aixin Sun, J Cui. (2015). Conformity-aware Influence Maximization in Online Social Networks. The VLDB Journal, 24(1).