|Academic Profile |
| || |
Assoc Prof Alton Chua Yeow Kuan
Associate Chair (Research), Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information
Associate Professor, Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information
Office: WKWSCI 04 44/ WKWSCI 02-17
|Alton Chua is Associate Professor and currently Associate Chair (Research) at the Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information, Nanyang Technological University. Between 2011 and 2014, he was Program Director of the Master of Science (Information Systems). |
An award-winning scholar, he has published close to 200 scholarly articles in these areas. Among the several accolades he received in recent years include 2014 Outstanding Paper Award from the Journal of Knowledge Management, 2014 Highly Commended Paper Award from Online Information Review, 2015 Best Paper Award at the International Conference on Internet Computing & Web Services, and the 2017 Highly Commended Paper Award from the Journal of Intellectual Capital. He also won the 2016 Nanyang Education Award (School) from the university for his teaching excellence.
|Dr Chua’s research interests lie mainly in information and knowledge management, with a particular focus on user-generated content. The themes of his research include community question-answering system, online reviews and rumors in social media. For example, he studied the quality of answers submitted to Yahoo!Answers and whether prompt answers were necessarily of good quality. He also investigated the way questions ought to be phrased to maximize their chances of attracting good answers. On online reviews, he has identified a number of factors that make a given reivew helpful to other users. Another related line of inquiry is the distinctions between authentic reviews and fake reviews. Given the prevalence of online rumors in recent times, Dr Chua's efforts have been trained on understanding the virality of rumors, and how the ill effects of rumors can be curbed through the use of counter-rumors.|
- A Framework of Knowledge Mobilisation
- Crisis Aftermath: Image Reinvention in Restoring Corporate Reputation and Regaining Stakeholder Confidence
- Exploring the link between media socialization and learning with technology
- Harnessing the Virality of Rumors to Spread Facts
- Home First Study: Information Seeking Behaviour on Ageing Well
- Human Computation Games for Discovering Social Media Content
- Rumour Denial: A Strategy to Combat Online Rumours
- Social problem-solving skills gaming for children
- Chua, A. & Banerjee, S. (2015). Answers or no answers: Studying question answerability in Stack Overflow. Journal of Information Science, 41(5), 25-131.
- Chua, A. & Banerjee, S. (2015). Understanding review helpfulness as a function of reviewer reputation, review rating and review depth. Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology, 66(2), 354-362.
- Wee, J. & Alton Chua. (2013). The peculiarities of knowledge management processes in SMEs – The case of Singapore. Journal of Knowledge Management, 17(6), 972-985.
- Alton Chua, Goh Hoe Lian Dion & Lee Chei Sian. (2012). Mobile content contribution and retrieval: A perspective from the uses and gratifications paradigm. Information Processing and Management, 48(1), 13-22.
« Back to Category Write-up