|Dr Xu received his B.E. and M.E. degrees from South China University of Technology, Guangzhou, China, in 2008 and 2011, and PhD degree from The University of Newcastle, Newcastle, Australia, in 2013, all in electrical engineering. |
He is now holding the Nanyang Assistant Professorship at NTU (http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/nap/), and also a Cluster Director (Smart Grids and Microgrids) at Energy Research Institute @ NTU (ERI@N).
Prior to joining NTU, he held the University of Sydney Postdoctoral Fellowship in Australia (http://sydney.edu.au/research/join-us/university-of-sydney-fellowship-scheme.html).
He was with Hong Kong Polytechnic University between 2009 and 2011, and Electric Power Research Institute of China Southern Grid from late 2015 to early 2016.
Dr Xu and his SODA (Stability, Optimization, and Data-Analytics) power system research group are focusing on three specific topics:
1) stability and control of renewable-energy power grids
2) microgrids and distributed energy resource (DER)
3) data-analytics for smart grid applications
As the first/corresponding author, he has published 78 IEEE Transactions papers and 23 IET journal papers. He has 8 "Web-of-Science highly cited papers" and received 10 IEEE/IET paper contest and conference best paper awards. His research deliverables have been practically applied in Australia, USA, Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR, China Mainland, and Singapore.
In Singapore, his research is funded by National Research Foundation (NRF), Ministry of Education (MOE), Energy Market Authority (EMA), Housing & Development Board (HDB), DSO National Laboratories, Rolls-Royce, Singtel, Infineon, JTC (Jurong Town Corporation), SingaporePower (SP), etc. He has been practically collaborating with many universities in Australia, China, Hong Kong SAR, UK, Denmark, France, Switzerland, India, and the USA through joint research projects and research student exchanges.
Dr Xu is an IEEE Senior Member, and serving as an Editor for IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, IEEE Power Engineering Letters, IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, and Chinese Society for Electrical Engineering (CSEE) Journal of Power and Energy Systems, and the Secretary for IEEE Task-Force on Internet-of-Things for Power Systems.
- Y. Xu, M. Yin, Z.Y. Dong, R. Zhang, and D.J. Hill,. (2018). “Robust dispatch of high wind power-penetrated power systems against transient instability,”. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, .
- Y. Xu, Z.Y. Dong, R. Zhang, and D.J. Hill. (2017). "Multi-timescale coordinated voltage/var control of high renewable-penetrated distribution networks,”. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, .
- Y. Xu, Z.Y. Dong, R. Zhang, Y. Xue, and D.J. Hill. (2015). “A decomposition-based practical approach to transient stability-constrained unit commitment,”. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, .
- Y. Xu, Z.Y. Dong, K.P. Wong, E. Liu, and B. Yue. (2013). “Optimal capacitor placement to distribution transformers for power loss reduction in radial distribution systems,”. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, .
- Y. Xu, Z.Y. Dong, J.H. Zhao, P. Zhang, and K.P. Wong. (2012). “A reliable intelligent system for real-time dynamic security assessment of power systems,”. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, .