|Academic Profile |
| || |
Dr Fong Wen Mei, Eileen
Senior Lecturer, School of Materials Science & Engineering
Phone: +65 65138139
Office: N4.1 01 03
|Eileen graduated from the School of Materials Engineering, NTU with B. Eng (Hons 1) in 2003. Her final year project was on template-assisted synthesis of hydroxyapatite nanoparticles with Ma Jan. Upon graduation, she joined the biomaterials group under the supervision of Subbu Venkatraman, developing biodegradable drug-eluting polymeric stents. She went on to start her PhD program in Bioengineering at the California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA, supported by the Nanyang Overseas Scholarship in 2005. She was advised by David A. Tirrell in the Division of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering. Her thesis was on Wound Healing on Artificial Extracellular Matrix (aECM) Proteins. She graduated in Jun 2010, and re-joined MSE as an assistant professor in Jul 2010.|
|Her research interests are in synthetic biology, protein engineering and cell biology for both biological and engineering applications.
Design and synthesis of artificial protein biomaterials
Developing assays for studying collective migration in 2D and 3D environments
Engineering proteins with novel functions
Improving microbial systems for efficient synthesis of protein materials
- Artificial Protein-Based Functional Biomaterials
- Controlling Cell-Cell Signaling using Synthetic Biomimetic Interfaces
- Development of multi-component protein hydrogels
- Development of multi-signalling artificial extracellular matrix (ECM) biomaterials for use as skin substitutes
- Tailorable bioinks for bioprinting of artificial skin substrates
- Li, Y.-Q.; Zhu, B.; Li, Y.; Leow, W. R.; Goh, R.; Ma, B.; Fong, E.; Tang, M.; Chen, X. (2015). Synergistic Capture Strategy for Enhanced Bacteria Detection and EliminationSynergistic Capture Strategy for Enhanced Bacteria Detection and Elimination. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 126(23), 5947–5951.
- PR Patel, RC Kiser, YY Lu, E Fong, WC Ho, DA Tirrell, RH Grubbs. (2012). Synthesis and Cell Adhesive Properties of Linear and Cyclic RGD Functionalized Polynorbornene Thin Films. Biomacromolecules, 13(8), 2546–2553.
- E. Fong, S. Tzlil, D. A. Tirrell. (2010). Boundary crossing in epithelial wound healing. Proc. National Academy of Sciences, USA, 107(45), 19302-19307.
- E. Fong, D. A. Tirrell. (2010). Collective Cell Migration on Artificial Extracellular Matrix Proteins Containing Full-Length Fibronectin Domains. Advanced Materials, 22, 5271-5275.
« Back to Research Directory