| || |
Prof Ute Meta Bauer
Director, School of Art, Design and Media
Professor, School of Art, Design and Media
Director, Centre for Contemporary Arts
|Ute Meta Bauer is a curator of exhibitions and presentations on contemporary art, film, video, and sound, with a focus on transdisciplinary formats. Since October 2013 she serves as founding director of the CCA – Centre for Contemporary Art, Singapore — a research center of Nanyang Technological University (NTU), where she is professor at ADM, NTU’s School of Art, Media and Design. From 2012–2013 she was Professor and Dean of the School of Fine Art at the Royal College of Art, London. Prior to that appointment she was Associate Professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, where she served as the Founding Director of ACT, the Program in Art, Culture, and Technology (2009–2012) and as Director of the MIT Visual Arts Program (2005–2009) at MIT’s School of Architecture and Planning. She was a professor for ten years (1996 – 2006) at the Academy of Fine Arts Vienna, Austria, heading the Institute of Cultural Studies and serving as Vice Rector for International Relations. During her tenure as Founding Director of the Office for Contemporary Art (OCA) in Oslo, Norway (2002-2005), she was also commissioner of the Nordic Pavillion (Norway, Sweden) for the 50th edition of the Venice Biennale (2003) and Norwegian contributor for the Bienal de São Paulo (2004). Furthermore, she was co-director with Hou Hanru of the World Biennial Forum No. 1, Gwangju, South Korea, 2012; Artistic Director of the 3rd Berlin Biennale for Contemporary Art, Berlin, 2004; and Co-Curator of Documenta11 (2001–2002) on the team of artistic director Okwui Enwezor. Bauer has edited numerous publications in the field of contemporary art, most recently Intellectual Birdhouse, Artistic Practice as Research (co-edited with Florian Dombois, Michael Schwab and Claudia Mareis, 2012), World Biennale Forum No 1 – Shifting Gravity (co-edited with Hou Hanru) and AR – Artistic Research (co-edited with Thomas D. Trummer), both 2013. For the CCA, she curated Paradise Lost along with Anca Rujoiu as the CCA’s inaugural exhibition, featuring video installations by Zarina Bhimji, Trin T. Minh-ha and Fiona Tan. She also curated the exhibition Theatrical Fields commissioned by Bildmuseet Umeå, Sweden (2013/14), scheduled to be shown at the CCA in Singapore for summer/fall 2014.|
- Ute Meta Bauer.(2017). In the World Unseen. Publication for the Danish Pavilion 'INFLUENZA: Theatre of Glowing Darkness. Because we need to relearn'(16 - 17)..
- Ute Meta Bauer. (2017). Shifting Gravity - Force Fields Biennales Today.ZKM e-publication, 4-17.
- Ute Meta Bauer. (2016). Light, Energy, Life.Mousse Magazine, 292-8.
- Ute Meta Bauer.(2016). Theatrical Fields: Theory, Theatre, Theatricality. Theatrical Fields. Critical Strategies in Performance, Film and Video(15-20). London, Bildmuseet & Singapore: Koenig Books, Umea, NTU CCA Singapore.
- Ute Meta Bauer, Khim Ong.(2016). Life is a Script_The Films of Yang Fudong. Yang Fudong, The Light that I Feel(38-42). Seoul: Daegu Art Museum.