|Academic Profile |
| || |
Assoc Prof Teru Miyake
Associate Professor, School of Humanities
|Teru has a BS in Applied Physics from the California Institute of Technology (Caltech), and worked for several years in Japan as an engineer and translator. He then decided to pursue his interests in philosophy, and returned to the United States to get an MA in Philosophy from Tufts University, and then a PhD in Philosophy from Stanford University, where he received the Patrick Suppes Fellowship and a Whiting Dissertation Fellowship. He also spent six months at the Max Planck Institute for the History of Science as a Predoctoral Fellow. He has been working at Nanyang Technological University in Singapore since 2011, and is currently Associate Professor and Head of Philosophy. He was a Fellow at the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study at Harvard University in 2017-2018. He has also received two SIngapore AcRF Tier 1 Grants.|
|My main field of research is Philosophy of Science.|
- Earth Models and the Epistemology of the Earth's Interior
- Reasoning from Residuals: A History and Taxonomy of Residual Phenomena
- Underdetermination and the Epistemology of Partially Inaccessible Systems
- Miyake, T. (2018). Rock, Bone, and Ruin: An Optimist's Guide to the Historical Sciences [Review of the book Rock, Bone, and Ruin: An Optimist's Guide to the Historical Sciences] BJPS Review of Books.
- Miyake, T. (2018, November). Model-Data Symbiosis in Seismology. Paper presented at Philosophy of Science Association 2018, Seattle, USA.
- Miyake, T. (2018, May). Residual Phenomena and Optics in the Early 19th Century. Paper presented at On the Question of Evidence: A Celebration of the Work of George Smith, Tufts University, Massachusetts, USA.
- Miyake, T. (2018, April). Theory-Mediated Measurement: A Taxonomy. Paper presented at 45th Annual Dubrovnik Philosophy of Science Conference, Inter-University Centre, Dubrovnik, Croatia.
- Miyake T.(2018). Scientific Realism and the Earth Sciences. The Routledge Handbook of Scientific Realism(333-344). Routledge.
« Back to Research Directory