|Academic Profile |
| || |
Dr Mark Alan Cenite
Associate Chair (Academic), Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information
Senior Lecturer, Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information
Phone: +65 67906111
Office: WKWSCI 04 42
|I teach at the Wee Kim Wee School of Communication & Information and in the University Scholars Programme.|
I've been an educator in communication law since 1998, in Asia since 2001. My approach is informed by pedagogical research about how students learn. I am a four-time recipient of Nanyang Technological University’s award for excellence in teaching. Most recently, I was awarded the Nanyang Education Award (University), which has three levels of distinction; I was awarded the highest, gold, and was named NTU’s “Educator of the Year” for 2016. Before that, I won the at the school level in 2004 and 2009, and the college level award in 2014.
My current publishing is mainly of journalistic commentary, for a broad public audience, about legal and ethical issues,
As Associate Chair (Academic) since 2015, I oversee all academic programmes at WKWSCI, which include the undergraduate, doctoral, research master’s, and master’s coursework programmes. Previously, I served as Associate Chair (Undergraduate Studies) from 2013-15, Assistant Chair (2013, and 2006-2008) and Acting Head of the Division of Communication Research (2008-2010).
I have also taught media law at Hong Kong Baptist University’s School of Communication, the University of Denver, and my doctoral institution, the University of Minnesota.
My name is pronounced chay-NEE-tay (I’m Italian-American), although I’m not too particular about the exact pronunciation.
|My work focuses on constitutional law and law and policy issues raised by new communication technologies.|
- Nanyang Education Award (University) 2016
- Transforming Team-Based Learning to Humanities and Social Science courses
- Understanding Singaporeans' attitudes toward homosexuality and perceptions of media portrayals of lesbians and gays: A longitudinal investigation
- Cenite, Mark. (2018). Facebook’s fake news crisis is a product of Silicon Valley culture.Channel NewsAsia, April 3.
- Cenite, M. (2018). American inaction on gun control has deep roots.The Straits Times, March 26.
- Benjamin H Detenber, Cenite, M., Zhou, S., Malik, S., & Neo, R.L. (2014). Rights versus Morality: Online debate about decriminalization of gay sex in Singapore.. Journal of Homosexuality, 61(9), 1313-1333.
- Cenite, M., Detenber, B.H., Koh, W.K.A., Lim, L.H.A., & Ng, E.S. (2009). Doing the right thing online: A survey of bloggers’ ethical beliefs and practices. New Media & Society, 11(4), 575-597.
- Cenite, M., Wang, M.W., Chong, P.W. & Chan, G.S. (2009). More than just free content: File sharing and the use of peer-to-peer networks. Journal of Communication Inquiry, 33(3), 206-221.