|Sara Sandin (b.1975) is a structural biologist with a long-standing interest in electron microscopy (EM). She studied chemistry (1999-2001) at Stockholm University, Sweden. During this time she had the opportunity to work in Prof. Höglund’s group at Uppsala University with transmission electron microscopy and HIV-1. She obtained a fellowship from the Knowledge Foundation, Sweden to carry out her doctoral research at the Karolinska Institute (2001-2005). Her PhD supervisor was Prof. Skoglund and she worked with cryoEM and electron tomography. She obtained an EMBO long-term fellowship and a MRC career development fellowship for her post-doctoral research work (2006-2011) at the MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biological (LMB), Cambridge, UK. At LMB she worked in Prof. Rhodes’ group with human telomerase, single particle EM and chromatin. She received a visiting fellowship in 2011 to work at the Salk Institute in Prof. Karlseder’s group and at UCSD in Prof. Ellisman’s laboratory. In November 2012 she became an Assistant Professor at the School of Biological Sciences, NTU Singapore. There she established a new cryoEM laboratory for single particle analysis and correlative imaging of telomeres.|
- Ludwig A, Nguyen TH, Leong D, Ravi LI, Huan TB, Sandin S, Sugrue RJ. (2017). Caveolae provide a specialized membrane environment for respiratory syncytial virus assembly. Journal of Cell Science, 198853, 10.1242.
- Lim SK, Wong AS, De Hoog HPM, Rangamani P, Parikh A, Nallani M, Sandin S and Liedberg B. (2017). Spontaneous formation of nanometer scale tubular vesicles in aqueous mixtures of lipid and block copolymer amphiphiles. Soft Matter, 13, 1107-1115.
- Sobti M, Smits C, Wong ASW, Ishmukhametov R, Stock D, Sandin S and Stewart AG. (2016). Cryo-EM structures of the autoinhibited E. coli ATP synthase in three rotational states. eLIFE, 10.7554, 21598.
- Chua EY, Vogirala VK, Inian O, Wong AS, Nordenskiöld L, Plitzko JM, Danev R and Sandin S. (2016). 3.9 Å structure of the nucleosome core particle determined by phase-plate cryo-EM. Nucleic Acids Research, 44(17), 8013-9.
- Ludwig A, Nichols BJ and Sandin S. (2016). Architecture of the caveolar coat complex. Journal of Cell Science, 129(16), 3077-83.