|Academic Profile |
| || |
Assoc Prof Roderick Wayland Bates
Research Integrity Officer
Associate Professor, School of Physical & Mathematical Sciences - Division of Chemistry & Biological Chemistry
|Roderick Bates received his PhD at Imperial College, London with Professor Steven Ley, using organoiron complexes for organic synthesis. After a postdoctoral stint at Colorado State University with Professor L. S. Hegedus working on chromium carbenes, he moved to the University of North Texas as an Assistant Professor. After some years spent in Thailand at Chulalongkorn University and the Chulabhorn Research Institute and a short stay in the ill-fated Department of Chemistry at Exeter in England, he joined Nanyang Technological University as a pioneer member of the Division of Chemistry and Biological Chemistry. He is currently an Associate Professor and a Fellow of NTU’s Teaching Excellence Academy. Since April 1st, 2018, he has been serving as the University's Research Integrity Officer. He has research interests are in the use of transition metals in organic synthesis, stereocontrol in natural product synthesis and drug discovery. His book “Organic Synthesis using Transition Metals” (2nd Ed.) was published by Wiley in April 2012. He is also a lecturer on Forensic Science for a Coursera MOOC.|
Natural Product Synthesis
- Active Natural Products in Traditional Chinese Medicine
- Exploration of New Synthetic Methods for Heterocycle Synthesis
- Hydroformylation Reactions for Alkaloid Synthesis
- Methodology and Strategy for the Synthesis of Natural Products
- Nanyang Education Award (University) - 2014
- Salviachinensine: An Anti-Cancer Opportunity from Nature
- Samroiyotmycin: Synthesis and Anti-Malarial Activity
- Synthesis of Biologically Important Marine and Other Natural Products
- Synthesis of Tetrahydropyrans by Allene Cyclisation
- Targeting Oxidative Phosphorylation for the Rational Development of Sterilising Drug Combination for Drug-resistant Tuberculosis
- Targeting Oxidative Phosphorylation for the Rational Development of Sterilizing Drug Combination for Drug-Resistant Tuberculosis
- Two Metals are Better than One: Bimetallic Catalysis for Enhanced Reactivity and Selectivity
- R. W. Bates, S. Sridhar. (2009). A Synthesis of (+/-)-stemoamide using the intramolecular propargylic Barbier reaction. Synlett, , 1979-1981.
- Bates, R. W., Dewey, M. R. (2009). A Formal Synthesis of Swainsonine by Gold-Catalyzed Allene Cyclization. Organic Letters, 11, 3706.
- Bates, R.W.; Ping, S. (2009). Synthesis of (-)-Monomorine I. Synthesis, , 655-659.
- R.W.Bates, S.Sridhar. (2008). A Synthesis of (-)-Mintlactone. Journal of Organic Chemistry, 73, 8104.
- Roderick W. Bates,* Jutatip Boonsombat, Yongna Lu, Joseph A. Nemeth, Kanicha Sa-Ei, Ping Song, Melody Peiling Cai, Philippa B. Cranwell, SusAnn Winbush. (2008). N,O-Heterocycles As Synthetic Intermediates. Pure and Applied Chemistry, 80, 681.
« Back to Research Directory