|Academic Profile |
| || |
Assoc Prof Murukeshan Vadakke Matham
School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 4200
- PhD Indian Institute of Technology, Madras 1997
- MPhil Cochin University of Science & Tech. 1991
- MSc Cochin University of Science & Tech. 1988
- BSc University of Calicut, Kerala 1986
|BRIEF BIOGRAPHY |
Dr. Murukeshan Vadakke Matham graduated from the University of Calicut, India with Physics major. He obtained his MSc and MPhil degrees in Physics with specialization in Quantum Electronics from the Cochin University of Science and Technology (CUSAT), India. He pursued his doctoral degree at the Indian Institute of Technology, Madras and at the University of Oldenburg, Germany with the DAAD Fellowship award and was awarded Ph.D in 1997 from IIT Madras (INDIA). Since 1997, he has been attached to the School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore where he is currently working as an Associate Professor. He has 25+ years of research experience, and close to 20 years of professional experience (full time), which includes 3 and half years of postdoctoral experience and 16 years of teaching experience.
He has published over 165 international journal papers ( which include papers published in nature publication group journals, top impact biomedical and nanoscale optics journals), over 140 international conference proceedings papers/presentations and 6 book chapters (three on biomedical Optics and three on nanoscale optics and fabrication). He also holds more than 10 patents and 10 innovation disclosures in the areas of Applied Optics, Laser speckle and Bio-Optics for Medical and Forensic applications. He has supervised 17 PhD students and 4 Master students till date and currently supervising 7 PhD students.
He is the Associate Editor of International Journal of Optomechatronics (IJO), editorial board member of Scientific Reports, and Editor–in-chief of the international Journal of Holography and Speckle (JHS). He has guest edited international optics journal issues apart from being regular reviewer for many leading optics journals. He has chaired and developed symposiums/tracks/sessions in international conferences and has given over 25 key note/plenary/invited talks at international conferences/workshops held in different countries. He is a regular thesis examiner of leading research institutes/universities and served as visiting associate professor/fellow at international universities/institutes. He is a SPIE-Visiting Lecturer and has given many lectures at universities and institutes under this program. He was the recipient of the prestigious Erudite Professorship with which he was in Kerala University, India in 2011. He is a Fellow of Institute of Physics, UK.
On the international front- He has collaborated or in collaboration doing interdisciplinary research projects with faculties from different overseas universities and research institutes. In Singapore, he has collaborative research projects with Singapore Bioimaging Consortium (SBIC), Singapore Eye Research Institute (SERI), Institute of Microelectronics, Singapore Institute of Manufacturing Technology (SIMTech) and I2R.
Many of his researches have attracted wide publicity in the recent years and attracted research funding. Over the last few years he was successful in bringing research funding through competitive research grants from various highly competitive funding agencies and multinational industries to the tune of over S$ 8 Million as Principal Investigator (PI) and in total more than S$ 10 Million (as PI/Co-PI/Collaborator). These projects include (i) macro, micro and nano metrology using optical techniques (National research Foundation and Rolls Royce), Nanoscale optics techniques for solar energy harvesting (with Ministry of Education), High resolution optical probes for Ocular imaging (National Medical research Council, ASTAR and BMRC), to name a few.
He is serving as the Deputy Director (Research and Education) of Centre for Optical & Laser Engineering (COLE), NTU. He leads a research group which focuses on cutting edge research and development based on Physics-optics in the areas of Biomedical Optics, Nanoscale Optics, Laser based Micro and Nanofabrication, and Optical Metrology.
|Associate Professor Murukeshan V Matham's research expertise and focus interests falls under the category of (i) Biomedical Optics and Nanoscale optics(iii)Applied Optics, (iv) Optical Metrology, and (v) Fiber Optic sensing (IF, PCF, HiBiF and POF).|
The details of his Research Frontiers and current projects can be found in brief as given below:
RESEARCH FRONTIERS & CURRENT FOCUS
(i) Nanoscale optics
(ii) Biomedical optics ( Multimodal Imaging) and Instrumentation
(iii) Applied Optics for precision engineering and metrology(measurement), Nondestructive testing (NDT) and machining
Major Current on-going projects:
(i) Multimodality multidimensional imaging for tissue imaging and cancer diagnosis
(ii) Photoacoustic, Hyperspectral and Fluorescence Imaging and Spectroscopy
(iii) High resolution Probe and Microscopy for Ocular ( Corneal and Angle) Diagnostic Imaging
(iv) Optogenetics and Microscopy around opaque obstacles - Instrumentationa and Novel concepts
(v) Nanoscale Multi molecular probes for theranaustics
(I) Random Media and Nonlinear Optics for next generation optoelectronics and energy harvesting applications
(ii) Specialty Fibers ( Image fiber and Photonic Crystal and crystal fibers for communications and bio-sensing
(iii) Novel Interferometric ( EW and SP) lithography for sub-30nm feature fabrications- semicon and bio applications
(v) Nanoscale Optics and Waveform Control for Laser 3D Printing ( A next generation investigation)
(i) Applied Optics/ Optical Metrology for engineering applications
(ii) Large Area Dimensional Measurements (
(iii) Investigation into development of flexible probe for surface roughness measurements of internal structures and inaccessible areas
- A STUDY OF THE ANTIMICROBIAL EFFECT OF A TIME-VARYING MAGNETIC FIELD ON A MIXED-SPECIES BIOFILM
- An optogenetics probe with targeted spatiotemporal illumination, multidirectional scanning and sensing at sub-cellular resolution
- Design and Development of 3D Printed Modular Robot Casings
- Development of 2D tunable photonic crystals for sensing and optical telecommunications
- Feasibility study on image fiber integration into a hyper-spectral imaging unit with a sophisticated mechanical and conceptual design
- High Resolution Imaging of Irido-corneal Angle And Aqueous Outflow System in the Eye Using Bessel-Beam Light Sheet with fluorescence overlay
- High resolution trabecular meshwork imaging-Refinement phase
- Miniaturised probe for irido-corneal imaging integrated to a slit lamp
- Multi-Material 3D Printer using Multi-Wavelength High-Power Lasers
- NAMIC@NTU 5
- Non-Contact Optical Techniques for Dimensional Measurement of Features on Large Flat and Curved Surfaces
- Novel plasmonic concepts for improved broadband light absorption in thin film solar cells
- Solid Immersion nanolithography for sub-60nm multi-dimensional patterning
- Surface Finish Measurement of Difficult to Access Areas and Internal Channels
- Hoong-Ta Lim & Murukeshan Vadakke Matham. (2016). A four-dimensional snapshot hyperspectral video-endoscope for bio-imaging applications. Scientific Reports, 6, 24044.
- Jayachandra Bingi , V.M. Murukeshan. (2016). Individual speckle diffraction based 1D and 2D Random Grating Fabrication for detector and solar energy harvesting applications. Scientific Reports, 6, 20501.
- P. Prabhathan and V. M. Murukeshan. (2015). Surface Plasmon Polariton-coupled Waveguide Back Reflector in Thin-film Silicon Solar Cell. Plasmonics, 11(1), 253-263.
- V. K. Shinoj, V. M. Murukeshan, M. Baskaran, and T. Aung. (2015). Integrated flexible handheld probe for imaging and evaluation of iridocorneal angle. Journal of Biomedical Optics, 20(1),016014.
- Ratheesh Kumar Meleppat, V. M. Murukeshan and L. K. Seah. (2015). An efficient phase analysis based wavenumber linearization scheme for swept source optical coherence tomography systems. Laser Physics Letters, .