|Academic Profile |
| || |
Prof Ooi Kim Tiow
Acting Chair, School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
Professor, School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
Phone: +65 67905486
Office: N3 02A 02
|Dr Ooi Kim Tiow is a Professor in Thermal and Fluids Division, School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. He came to Singapore after obtaining PhD in Mechanical Engineering from University of Strathclyde, Scotland, U.K. in 1990. His research areas are mainly focused on refrigeration compressors and systems, as well as design and optimization of mechanical products. He has since been bestowed trice Teacher of the Year Award, and once The Nanyang Award for Excellence in Teaching. In 2014, he is awarded Nanyang Award for Innovation and Entrepreneurship. His research works have won a few international and national awards. He publishes widely in his research field and has been invited to be Editorial Board Member, Associate Editor, Guest Editor and Reviewers of International Journals. He also serves as International advisory committee member and Chairman of Academic Committee of International Conferences in UK, Europe and China. He is the holders of more than 10 patents, a co-author of a book and chapters of encyclopedias. He is widely consulted by engineering companies on design and optimization of refrigeration compressors, design optimization and studies of mechanical products both locally and internationally. He is a member of American Society of Heating, air-conditioning and refrigerating Engineers.|
|Flow and heat transfer study of refrigeration system and cooling system, in particular the refrigeration compressor. Detail mathematical simualtion and measurement of compressor performance. Novel compressor designs and performance improvement. Microchannel flow and heat transfer. Optimisation design of refrigeration components and systems. Recently he also researches into enhanced microchannel heat transfer in macro geometry.|
- Development of a Revolving Vane Pump
- Development of a new gene gun
- Electromobility in Megacities - RP 7: E-Car Technology
- Functional multi-core microcapsules for new cosmetic applications via droplet microfluidics
- Greener Compressor which Requires Lesser Material to Fabricate
- Inaugural Nanyang Education Award (College ) - 2013
- Monetary Academic Resources for Research
- NANYANG EDU AWARD 2013
- Nanyang Innovation Grant
- Travel Budget
- Zi Hao Foo, Kai Xian Cheng, AikLing Goh, KimTiow Ooi. (2018). Single-phase convective heat transfer performance of wavy microchannels in macro geometry Author links open overlay panel. Applied Thermal Engineering, 141, 675-687.
- Chong, WH (Chong, Wen Han); Huang, Y (Huang, Yi); Wong, TN (Wong, Teck Neng); Ooi, KT (Ooi, Kim Tiow); Zhu, GP (Zhu, Gui-Ping). (2018). Magnetic Nanorobots, Generating Vortexes Inside Nanoliter Droplets for Effective Mixing. Advanced Materials Technologies, 3(4).
- Kai Xian Cheng, Yi Sheng Chong, Kim Tiow Ooi. (2018). Thermal-hydraulic performance of a tapered microchannel. International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, 94((2018)), 53–60.
- Yap KS, Ooi KT, Chakraborty A. (2018). Analysis of the novel cross vane expander-compressor: Mathematical modelling and experimental study. Energy, 145, 626-637.
- K T Ooi and K T Aw. (2017). IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering: Thermal modelling of a dry revolving vane compressor. International Conference on Compressors and their Systems 2017 (pp. 232)UK.