|Academic Profile |
| || |
Prof Ooi Kim Tiow
School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 5486
- PhD University of Strathclyde 1989
- BEng(Hons) University of Strathclyde 1986
|Dr Ooi Kim Tiow is a Professor in Thermal and Fluids Division, School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. He came to Singapore after obtaining PhD in Mechanical Engineering from University of Strathclyde, Scotland, U.K. in 1990. His research areas are mainly focused on refrigeration compressors and systems, as well as design and optimization of mechanical products. He has since been bestowed trice Teacher of the Year Award, and once The Nanyang Award for Excellence in Teaching. In 2014, he is awarded Nanyang Award for Innovation and Entrepreneurship. His research works have won a few international and national awards. He publishes widely in his research field and has been invited to be Editorial Board Member, Associate Editor, Guest Editor and Reviewers of International Journals. He also serves as International advisory committee member and Chairman of Academic Committee of International Conferences in UK, Europe and China. He is the holders of more than 10 patents, a co-author of a book and chapters of encyclopedias. He is widely consulted by engineering companies on design and optimization of refrigeration compressors, design optimization and studies of mechanical products both locally and internationally. He is a member of American Society of Heating, air-conditioning and refrigerating Engineers.|
|Flow and heat transfer study of refrigeration system and cooling system, in particular the refrigeration compressor. Detail mathematical simualtion and measurement of compressor performance. Novel compressor designs and performance improvement. Microchannel flow and heat transfer. Optimisation design of refrigeration components and systems. Recently he also researches into enhanced microchannel heat transfer in macro geometry.|
- Development of a Revolving Vane Pump
- Development of a new gene gun
- Electromobility in Megacities - RP 7: E-Car Technology
- Functional multi-core microcapsules for new cosmetic applications via droplet microfluidics
- Greener Compressor which Requires Lesser Material to Fabricate
- Inaugural Nanyang Education Award (College ) - 2013
- Monetary Academic Resources for Research
- NANYANG EDU AWARD 2013
- Nanyang Innovation Grant
- Travel Budget
- Yap KS, Ooi KT, Chakraborty A. (2018). Analysis of the novel cross vane expander-compressor: Mathematical modelling and experimental study. Energy, 145, 626-637.
- K T Ooi and K T Aw. (2017). IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering: Thermal modelling of a dry revolving vane compressor. International Conference on Compressors and their Systems 2017 (pp. 232)UK.
- Cheng KX, Ooi KT. (2017). Investigation of effect of protrusion height on microscale heat transfer and fluid flow in macro geometries. Applied Thermal Engineering, Volume 118, 244-255.
- Foo ZH, Cheng KX, Ooi KT. (2016). MIPE: ISBN 978-986-5654-48-1: Experimental Investigation on the Effects of Bifurcation Angle on Enhanced Microscale Heat Transfer in Macro Geometry. International Conference on Mechanical, Industrial and Power Engineering (pp. MIPE-419)Japan.
- Ooi KT, Goh AL. (2016). Journal of Physics: Conference Series: Enhanced MicroChannel Heat Transfer in Macro-Geometry using Conventional Fabrication Approach. 7th European Thermal-Sciences Conference, Eurotherm 2016 - Technical Sessions (pp. v 745, p 032054 (8 pp.))UK: IOP.
« Back to Research Directory