|Academic Profile |
| || |
Asst Prof Lau Gih Keong
School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 6825
- PhD Delft University of Technology 2007
- MEng Nanyang Technological University 2001
- BEng(Mech)(Hons) Nanyang Technological University 1998
|Gih-Keong Lau received his bachelor and master degrees in mechanical engineering from Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, in 1998 and 2001 respectively. He received his PhD degree of mechanical engineering in 2007 from the Delft University of Technology. Since 2008, he has been an assistant professor with the School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, at Nanyang Technological University. His research interests are in the areas of micro-electro-mechanical actuators, electro-active polymers, compliant mechanisms, and bio-inspired micro-air vehicles|
|Assistant Professor Lau Gih Keong’s research focus is on actuator technology and bio-mimetic system, covering the aspects of the actuator fundamentals, design, material, micro-fabrication and system integration. He has extensively studied and developed various smart structures and active materials, which include piezoelectric, electrostrictive, electromagnetic, and electro-thermal ones. Various novel actuators were successfully developed and applied to precision micro-systems and bio-inspired micro-robots.|
- A Novel Approach To Drive Flapping-Wings via DC Motors, directly from an alternating motion of the motor, exploiting resonance between the wing and a torsional elastic structure
- Development of Polymer Actuators as Artificial Muscles for Micro-robots
- Energy-Efficient Elastic Wing Clappers for Micro-Air Vehicles
- Flapping wing MAVs - Towards the next generation air vehicle
- Laser Doppler Vibrometer for Characterizing Micro-Motion in Actuators
- MEMS for Smartphone Camera's Autofocus
- Optimized MEMS for Smartphone Camera's Autofocus
- Smart Window of Tunable Transparency for Microscopic Crumpling of Transparent Thin Films
- Lau GK, La TG, Foong SWE, Shrestha M. (2016). Stronger multilayer acrylic dielectric elastomer actuators with silicone gel coatings. Smart Materials and Structures , 25(12), 125006.
- Shrestha, M. and Lau, G.K. (2016). Tunable window device based on micro-wrinkling of nanometric zinc-oxide thin film on elastomer. Optics Letters, 41(19), 4433-4436.
- Lau GK, Yang J, Tan CP, Chong NB. (2016). An electro-thermally activated rotary micro-positioner for slider-level dual-stage positioning in hard disk drives. Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, 26(3), 035016.
- Ong H-Y, Shrestha M, Lau GK. (2015). Microscopically crumpled indium-tin-oxide thin films as compliant electrodes with tunable transmittance. Applied Physics Letters, 107, 132902.
- Lau GK, Chin YW, Goh JTW, Wood RJ. (2014). Dipteran-Insect Inspired Thoracic Mechanism with Non-Linear Stiffness to Save Inertial Power of Flapping-Wing Flight. IEEE Transactions on Robotics, 30(5), 1187 - 1197.