|Academic Profile |
| || |
Dr Melvin Chen
Lecturer, School of Humanities
Phone: +65 65927935
Office: HSS 03 91 (USP-PHILO)
|Melvin holds a BA in Literature from the National University of Singapore, an MPhil in Ibsen Studies from the Centre for Ibsen Studies at the University of Oslo and a PhD in Philosophy from Cardiff University. Having originally been offered an overseas scholarship to read Law at Somerville College, Oxford, he decided to take the road less travelled and reject the conventional route in favour of his intellectual interests. That, he would like to believe, has made all the difference. He is now a Faculty Member at the University Scholars Programme at Nanyang Technological University and hopes to inspire like-minded students to pursue their dreams with courage and fearlessness. |
Melvin has published in philosophy journals (Philosophical Psychology, Hypatia, The Southern Journal of Philosophy, Philosophy & Literature, Philosophical Forum), literary journals (Nordlit, Antae) and poetry journals (Tipton Poetry Journal, Eunoia Review, LONTAR). His art has graced the pages of Heartbeat: A Literary Journal.
Philosophy of Artificial Intelligence, Philosophy of the Imagination, Creative Cognition Research, Aesthetics, Metaethics & Normative Ethics, Philosophy & Literature
A Tale of Two Deficits: Causality & Care in Medical AI - Accelerating Creativity & Excellence project
SP0047 Key Problems & Puzzles in Contemporary Aesthetics
CY0001 Writing & Reasoning
SP0068 Artificial Intelligence: History, Philosophy, & Prospects
AG6312 Medical Humanities & Ageing - 1-week seminar on the Ethics of Care & Artificial Intelligence (forthcoming)
SP0067 Creativity, Cognition, & the Imagination (forthcoming)
AI6XXX Introduction to AI & AI Ethics - 2-week seminar on the Philosophical Foundations for AI Ethics (forthcoming)
Honours & Awards:
2019 Recipient, Honorarium & Travel Grant (c. AUD 2,700), Goethe-Institut Australia
2018 Recipient & Principal Investigator, Accelerating Creativity & Excellence Grant (c. SGD 200,000), Nanyang Technological University
BA in Literature in English (National University of Singapore)
MPhil in Ibsen Studies (Centre for Ibsen Studies, University of Oslo)
PhD in Philosophy (Cardiff University)
|Philosophy of Artificial Intelligence|
Philosophy of the Imagination
Creative Cognition Research
Metaethics & Normative Ethics
Philosophy & Literature
- A Tale of Two Deficits: Causality & Care in Medical AI
- Chen, Melvin. (2019). To Chuck or Not to Chuck? Túngara Frogs & the Puzzle of Natural Beauty (PHILOSOPHY). Proceedings of the European Society for Aesthetics, 10, 153-66.
- Chen, Melvin. (2018, November). Medical Artificial Intelligence (PHILOSOPHY). Paper presented at Transform MedEd Conference, Clinical Sciences Building, Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine.
- Chen, Melvin. (2018). Imagination Machines, Dartmouth-based Turing Tests, & A Potted History of Responses (PHILOSOPHY) - Full-text version available at: https://rdcu.be/13On. AI & Society, , 1-5.
- Chen, Melvin. (2018, September). Creativity, Imagination, & The New Challenge for Artificial Intelligence (PHILOSOPHY). Paper presented at AI Narratives Workshop, HSS Conference Room (HSS-05-57).
- Chen, Melvin. (2018). Túngara Frogs, The Puzzle of Natural Beauty, & the Problem with Darwinian Aesthetics (PHILOSOPHY). European Society for Aesthetics Conference.