|Academic Profile |
| || |
Dr Melvin Chen
School of Humanities
College of Humanities, Arts, & Social Sciences
- PhD Cardiff University 2015
- MPhil (Ibsen Studies) University of Oslo 2012
- BA National University of Singapore 2011
|Melvin holds a BA in Literature from the National University of Singapore, an MPhil in Ibsen Studies from the Centre for Ibsen Studies at the University of Oslo and a PhD in Philosophy from Cardiff University. Having originally been offered an overseas scholarship to read Law at Somerville College, Oxford, he decided to take the road less travelled and reject the conventional route in favour of his intellectual interests. That, he would like to believe, has made all the difference. He is now a Faculty Member at the University Scholars Programme at Nanyang Technological University and hopes to inspire like-minded students to pursue their dreams with courage and fearlessness. |
Melvin's research interests include the following: Creative Cognition Research, Philosophy of Artificial Intelligence, Philosophy & Literature, Ethics & Metaethics, Aesthetics, Philosophy of the Imagination, Literary Modernism, and Buddhist Philosophy. He has published in philosophy journals (Philosophical Psychology, Hypatia, The Southern Journal of Philosophy, Philosophy & Literature, Philosophical Forum), literary journals (Nordlit, Antae) and poetry journals (Tipton Poetry Journal, Eunoia Review, LONTAR). His art has graced the pages of Heartbeat: A Literary Journal.
|Creative Cognition Research|
Philosophy of Artificial Intelligence
Philosophy & Literature
Ethics & Metaethics
Philosophy of the Imagination
- A Tale of Two Deficits: Causality & Care in Medical AI
- Chen, Melvin. (2018). Imagination Machines, Dartmouth-based Turing Tests, & A Potted History of Responses (PHILOSOPHY) - forthcoming. Full-text version available at: https://rdcu.be/13On. AI & Society, .
- Chen, Melvin. (2018). Túngara Frogs, The Puzzle of Natural Beauty, & the Problem with Darwinian Aesthetics (PHILOSOPHY). European Society for Aesthetics Conference.
- Chen, Melvin. (2018). Criterial Problems in Creative Cognition Research (PHILOSOPHY). Eprint available at: http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/9vkBzWJJrCe54CqprcvJ/full. Philosophical Psychology, 31(3), 368-382.
- Chen, Melvin. (2017). Philosophy and Literature: Problems of a Philosophical Sub-Discipline (PHILOSOPHY). Available at https://muse.jhu.edu/article/685450/pdf. Philosophy and Literature, 41(2), 471-82.
- Chen, Melvin. (2017). The Other - Inspired by the Proxima Centauri (POETRY). LONTAR: The Journal of Southeast Asian Speculative Fiction, 9 (Autumn 2017), 62.
« Back to Category Write-up