|Academic Profile |
| || |
Assoc Prof Ng Bee Chin
Associate Dean (Graduate Education), College of Humanities, Arts, & Social Sciences
Programme Chair (Global Asia), Interdisciplinary Graduate School
Linguistics and Multilingual Studies
School of Humanities
College of Humanities, Arts, & Social Sciences
Office: HSS-05-35A/ HSS-03-52
- PhD La Trobe University 1991
- BA(Hons) La Trobe University 1984
|First Class Honours, PhD La Trobe University.
After her PhD, Ng Bee Chin worked as a Post-doctoral fellow at the University of Queensland. Following that, she taught in Monash and La Trobe University before joining Nanyang Technological University in 2000. Currently, she is in the Division of Linguistics and Multilingual Studies. She is the co-author of Bilingualism: An advanced Resource Book, published by Routledge 2007.
|Ng Bee Chin works in the area of child language acquisition and semantics. Her primary area of research is in psycholinguistics and sociolinguistics aspects of language acquisition in multilingual contexts. Topics which she has worked on include bilingual acquisition, language identity and attitudes, semantic and conceptual acquisition, interpretation and translation, language and gender, speech pathology in multilingual settings. Given the multilingual context she works in, she is interested in any aspect of language enquiry which explores the interaction between the speaker and the enviroment.|
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2017-) [by MOE]
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2017-) [by Ministry of Education (MOE)]
- Digital Intangible Heritage Asia (DIHA)
- Exploring the crossroads of linguistic diversity: language contact in S.E. Asia
- MICE - A Multilingual Corpus of Emotion Expressions of Malay, Indonesian, Chinese and English
- Silent but all Ears: The critical role of speech perception and input in 6-12 month bilingual infants.
- The Impact of Language Repertoire on Elderly Singaporeans
- Cavallaro, Francesco, Mark Seilhamer, Felicia Chee and Ng Bee Chin. (2016). Overaccommodation in a Singapore Eldercare Facility. Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development, 37(8), 817-831.
- Ng Bee Chin. (2016). Special Issue on Language and Emotion on Chinese Languages. Lingua Sinica, .
- Ng Bee Chin. (Ed.). (2016). 'Special Issue on language and Emotion in Chinese Languages'. Lingua Sinica.
- Cavallaro, Francesco and Ng Bee Chin. (2015, October). Measuring language "attachment" in Singapore: a direct and an indirect approach. Paper presented at 21st Conference of the International Association for World Englishes (IAWE 2015), Boğaziçi University, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Ng Bee Chin, Kastoori Kalaivanan, April Ching, Mark Seilhamer, Itesh Sachdev and Francesco Cavallaro. (2015, October). When is English an ingroup language? Language accommodation in a multilingual setting. Paper presented at 21st Conference of the International Association for World Englishes (IAWE 2015), Boğaziçi University, Istanbul, Turkey.