|Academic Profile |
| || |
Prof Foo Maw Der
Professor, College of Business (Nanyang Business School) - Division of Strategy, International Business & Entrepreneurship
|I am a Full Professor of Entrepreneurship at Nanyang Business School, Nanyang Technological University with honorary/guest professorships at Jilin University and Nankai University. I co-founded Startup@Singapore and was a lead organizer of MIT’s 50K, now $100K, business plan competition. With a keen interest in promoting fair and sustainable business practices, I’m on Consumer Association of Singapore CaseTrust Advisory Council, judge the NUS-DBS Social Venture Challenge Asia, and faculty fellow of the Nanyang Technopreneurship Centre.|
I serve as Field Editor of the Journal of Business Venturing (from 2012-2017 as editor of Entrepreneurship: Theory & Practice where I continue to be on the editorial review board) and on the editorial review boards of the Academy of Management Journal, Academy of Management Perspectives, and Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal. Courses taught are in areas of leadership, management, and entrepreneurship.
Academic qualifications include the Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA, Honours, 2nd Upper) from the National University of Singapore and Ph.D. from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
|My research uses management concepts to understand entrepreneurial processes in high growth startups and in academic entrepreneurship. Past projects have delved into cognition, teams, and emotions and how these processes impact individual well-being, team functioning, and venture success. More recently I study leadership issues, especially how women can emerge as leaders. This research has appeared in premier journals, including the Academy of Management Journal, Entrepreneurship: Theory & Practice, Journal of Applied Psychology, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Journal of Business Venturing, Management Science, and Strategic Management Journal.|
- I lead but who takes care of me? Leader well-being and individual and organizational outcomes
- Foo Maw Der; Huang Huisi; Kok Pooi San; Saurabh Bhardwaj; Twisha Sethi.(2020). Building the Entrepreneurial Mindset (A): The BRiSK3 Mind Model of Entrepreneurship. .
- Foo Maw Der; Huang Huisi; Kok Pooi San; Saurabh Bhardwaj; Twisha Sethi.(2020). Building the Entrepreneurial Mindset (B): The Journey of Mr. Neo Kah Kiat, Founder Chairman and CEO of Neo Group Limited. .
- Foo MD. (2019, August). Wellbeing in entrepreneurship (invited panelist). Paper presented at Academy of Management Conference, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Li Z, Foo MD, Aguinis H. (2019, June). What can we benefit from the big data era? A study of Rough Set Theory in entrepreneurial behavior research. Paper presented at Babson Entrepreneurship Conference, Babson, Massachusetts.
- Foo Maw Der, Angeline Lim, Lim Wee Kiat, Leong Yi Tung.(2019). The Experience of Wendy Chan: Challenges Faced by Woman Leaders in STEM-Related Sectors. .
« Back to Research Directory