|Junsong Yuan joined NTU as a Nanyang Assistant Professor in Aug. 2009. He is currently the program director of video analytics at School of EEE, NTU. He received Ph.D. from Northwestern University, USA and M.Eng. from National University of Singapore. Before that, he graduated from the special program for the gifted young in Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, P.R.China. Dr. Yuan’s research interests include computer vision, video analytics, large-scale visual search and mining, human computer interaction, biomedical image analysis, etc. Since Aug. 2009, he has been the PI or Joint-PI of over S$6.5M research grants, sponsored by Singapore Ministry of Education (MoE), Media Development Authority (MDA), Infocomm Development Authority (IDA), National Research Foundation (NRF), Defence Science Organisation (DSO) National Labs, Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS), Microsoft, Adobe, Omron, and Nanyang Technological University.
Dr. Yuan has published over 150 technical papers in journals and international conferences in computer vision, image processing, multimedia, and data mining. He co-chairs workshops at SIGGRAPH Asia'14, IEEE Conf. Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR'12'13) and IEEE Conf. on Computer Vision (ICCV'13). He is area chair of IEEE Winter Conf. on Computer Vision (WACV'14), Asian Conf. on Computer Vision (ACCV'14), and IEEE Conf. on Multimedia Expo (ICME'14). He is also the program co-chair of IEEE Conf. on Visual Communication and Image Processing (VCIP'15), and organization co-chair of ACCV'14. He serves as guest editor for International Journal of Computer Vision (IJCV), and associate editor of IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology (T-CSVT) and The Visual Computer (TVC) Journal.
He received Nanyang Assistant Professorship and Tan Chin Tuan Exchange Fellowship from Nanyang Technological University, Outstanding EECS Ph.D. Thesis award from Northwestern University, Doctoral Spotlight Award from IEEE Conf. Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition Conference (CVPR'09), and National Outstanding Student from Ministry of Education, P.R.China. He has filed several patents, with technology licensed by industry. He is a senior member of IEEE, and elected member of IEEE Multimedia System and Applications Technical Committee, and Visual Signal Processing and Communications Technical Committee. He gives tutorials at ACCV'14, ICIP'13, FG'13, ICME'12, SIGGRAPH VRCAI'12, and PCM'12.
- Du Tran, Junsong Yuan, David Forsyth. (2014). Video Event Detection: From Subvolume Localization to Spatiotemporal Path Search. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 36(2), 404-416.
- Zhou Ren, Junsong Yuan, and Wenyu Liu. (2013). Minimum Near-Convex Shape Decomposition. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, in press.
- Yang Cong, Junsong Yuan, and Ji Liu. (2013). Abnormal Event Detection in Crowded Scenes using Sparse Representation. Pattern Recognition, 46(7), 1851-1864.
- Junsong Yuan, Gangqiang Zhao, et. al. (2012). Discovering Thematic Objects in Images Collections and Videos. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 21(4), 2207-2219.
- Junsong Yuan, Zicheng Liu and Ying Wu. (2011). Discriminative Video Pattern Search for Eﬃcient Action Detection. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 33(9), 1728-1743.