|Academic Profile |
| || |
Asst Prof Julien Cayla
Division of Marketing and International Business
College of Business (Nanyang Business School)
Phone: (+65)6790 5670
- PhD University of Colorado 2003
- MBA Indiana University of Pennsylvania 1997
- Diplome de Grande Ecole Institut Commercial de Nancy 1995
|Julien Cayla is a Research Fellow at the Institute on Asian Consumer Insight, an Assistant Professor of Marketing at Nanyang Business School (Singapore) and a Visiting Professor at Kedge Business School (France). In his research, he tries to integrate anthropological theories and methodologies to the study of marketing in the global marketplace. His research more specifically focuses on the way culture impact business practice. His work has been published in outlets such as the Journal of Consumer Research, the Journal of Marketing, Organization Studies, MIT Sloan Management Review, the Journal of Business Research and the Journal of International Marketing. Professor Cayla has received several awards for his research including the NBS Excellence Research Award, the Susan Douglas Award, the MSI Alden Clayton Award and the ACR-Sheth Foundation Award.|
|The research question I am currently focusing on is: Why and how do service interactions vary across cultural contexts? I am especially interested in understanding what “good service” means to the organisations that do service work, and how these ideas about service are put into practice in interactions with customers. I study service in service interactions in different industry contexts and cultures.|
- A Cross - Cultural Comparison Of Service Interactions
- Ethnography And Interaction In Asia: TransdisciplinaryResearch Methods
- Marketers At Work And Consumers In Action: Using Videos, Interactive Exercises, And Games To Evoke Online Learning In AMarketing Course
- P1: Home And Global Mobility P2: Paying For Pain: An Ethnography Of Adventure Racing P3: India And The West P4: An Ethnography Of Gym Culture In India - New Media 35%, New Silk Road 31%, General Academic Excellence 23%, Innovation Asia 11%
- Rebecca Scott, Julien Cayla, Bernard Cova. (2017). Selling Pain to the Saturated Self. Journal of Consumer Research, June issue(78).
- Cayla, Julien and Kushagra Bhatnagar. (2017). English Is a Violent Boundary: Language and Power in India’s "New Services". Journal of Business Research, 72(March), 189-198.
- Arnould, Eric, and Julien Cayla. (2015). Consumer Fetish: Commercial Ethnography and the Sovereign Consumer. Organization Studies, 36(10), 1361–1386.
- Cayla, Julien, Arnould, Eric and Robin Beers. (2014). Stories that Deliver Business Insights. MIT Sloan Management Review, 55(2), 55-62.
- Cayla, Julien and Eric Arnould. (2013). Ethnographic Stories for Market Learning. Journal of Marketing, 76, 38-54.
« Back to Research Directory