|Academic Profile |
| || |
Asst Prof Park Hyung Wook
School of Humanities
College of Humanities, Arts, & Social Sciences
- PhD University of Minnesota, Twin Cities 2009
- MSc Seoul National University 2001
- BSc (Biology) (High Hons) Yonsei University 1996
|I was trained as a historian of science and medicine at the University of Minnesota. After earning my doctoral degree in 2009, I got my first job as a lecturer in the history of medicine at the University of Durham, England. After a year, I moved to the Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology in Korea as an assistant professor, and then came to join the NTU faculty in 2012. My area of expertise is the history of the biomedical sciences and medicine in the modern world, including the problem of aging, the body, cross-disciplinary communication, and the definition of normality in clinical studies. In addition to my research and teaching, I enjoy swimming, hiking, and bicycling.|
|History of Biomedical Science and Medicine|
History of the Body
History of Aging and Gertontology
Korean Science and Medicine
- Aging and Immunity: A Historical Research on Gerontology and Immunology in the United States and the United Kingdom, 1900-1960
- Constructing Failure: Tissue Culture and Tissue Transplantation in Twentieth Century Biomedicine
- Crafting Seoul National University Hospital: Healthcare, Medical Modernity, and Their Techno-Cultural Construction
- Hyung Wook Park. (2017). Managing failure: Sir Peter Brian Medawar’s transplantation research. Notes and Records: The Royal Society Journal of the History of Science, doi:10.1098/rsn.
- Hyung Wook Park, Kyuhoon Cho. (2017). Science, State, and Spirituality: Stories of Four Creationists in South Korea. History of Science, DOI: 10.1177/00.
- Hyung Wook Park. (2017, November). Science, State, and Spirituality: Creationism in Korea. Paper presented at History of Science Society Annual Meeting, Sheraton Hotel, Toronto, ON, Canada.
- Hyung Wook Park. (2017, April). Historical Perspectives. Paper presented at European Network in Aging Studies, Graz, Australia.
- Hyung Wook Park. (2016, November). Managing Failure: Peter Brian Medawar's Study of Immunological Tolerance and the Age of Biomedicine. Paper presented at History of Science Society Annual Meeting, Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
« Back to Research Directory