|Academic Profile |
| || |
Assoc Prof Gao Huasheng
Division of Banking & Finance
College of Business (Nanyang Business School)
Phone: (+65)6790 4653
- PhD (BA) University of British Columbia 2009
- MSc (BA) University of British Columbia 2006
- BSc (CompSc) Shanghai Jiao Tong University 2003
|Associate Professor Gao Huasheng from the Division of Banking & Finance is a two-time Nanyang Business School Research Excellence Award winner. Dr Gao’s research is published in top and leading journals such as the Journal of Financial Economics, Journal of Accounting and Economics , Management Science, and Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis. He has also won several best paper awards including Best Paper Award at the 2011 International Young Scholar Corporate Finance and Governance Symposium, Best Paper Award at the 2014 China Finance and Accounting Conference, and Best Paper Award at the 2013 Eastern Finance Association Annual Conference. Dr. Gao’s work is aligned with enhancing Singapore’s strong presence in talent management and corporate governance, focusing on managerial decisions on investment, financing, and payouts of firms with key emphasis on understanding the design of managerial compensation contracts to incentivize and compensate these managers, and how the numerous corporate governance mechanisms that work to align the interests between managers and shareholders. His teaching is outstanding, both in terms of delivery and curriculum development. On the service front, Dr. Gao has displayed exemplary efforts in his devotion as an educator and towards the betterment of the division, school and the university, contributing his time generously in several capacities covering the supervision of final-year undergraduate applied research projects and the professional attachment programme, as a member of recruiting committee and oral confirmation panel for doctoral candidates, as well as partakes as a member of the program committee for China International Finance Conference, Financial Management Association Conference, Singapore International Conference on Finance, and Asian Finance Association Conference, and as an ad-hoc reviewer for several international top-tiered finance and economic journals.|
|Prof Gao's areas of expertise are executive compensation, corporate governance, and empirical corporate finance.|
- Determinants of Corporate Cash Policy: Insights from Private Firms
- Sex Discrimination and Gender Diversity in the Top Management Team: International Evidence
- Stakeholder Orientation and Cost of Debt
- The impact of executive hedging on executive incentive and corporate governance
- Gao,Huasheng; Wei Zhang. (2016). Employment Non-Discrimination Acts and Corporate Innovation. Management Science, forthcoming.
- Huasheng Gao, Juan Luo, and Tilan Tang. (2015). Effects of Managerial Labor Market on Executive Compensation: Evidence from Job-hopping. Journal of Accounting and Economics, 59, 203-220.
- Huasheng Gao, Jarrad Harford, and Kai Li. (2013). Determinants of Corporate Cash Policy: Insights from Private Firms. Journal of Financial Economics, 109, 623-639.
- Xin Deng, and Huasheng Gao. (2013). Nonmonetary Benefits, Quality of Life, and Executive Compensation. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 48, 197-218.
- Gao, H. (2009). Optimal Compensation Contracts When Managers Can Hedge. Journal of Financial Economics, 97, 218 – 238.