|Academic Profile |
| || |
Assoc Prof Sun Hsiao-Li Shirley
School of Social Sciences
College of Humanities, Arts, & Social Sciences
- PhD New York U., Grad School of Arts & Sci 2005
- MA(Sociology) New York U., Grad School of Arts & Sci 1997
- BA(Econs) National Taiwan University 1995
|Dr. Shirley Sun studies family, population, and genomic science and precision medicine in global contexts through the concepts of citizenship and "othering". She has published a book on genetics/genomics-based precision medicine (Shirley Sun. 2017. Socio-economics of Personalized Medicine in Asia. London and New York: Routledge), where she draws on extensive interview data with physicians and genetic research scientists in Asia with respect to their understanding and experiences of precision medicine. More information about the book is available online at http://www.routledge.com/products/9781138933835|
Dr. Sun is also the author of "Population Policy and Reproduction in Singapore: Making Future Citizens" (2012, London and New York: Routledge). More information is available online at http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415670685/
She has special research interests in science, technology and society (STS), and has successfully completed several research projects and consistently published in peer-reviewed top-tier journals.
Dr. Sun's published articles can be downloaded at the Berkeley Electronic Press website:
|Science, Technology and Society, Precision Medicine, Population, Citizenship, Social Inequalities, Changing Families, Children|
- Addressing social issues in precision medicine: Comparing Singapore, the United States of America and Canada
- Shao-Tzu Li, Shirley Sun, Desiree Lie, Marie Met‐Domestici, Eliza Courtney, Sapna Menon, Geok Hoon Lim, Joanne Ngeow. (2018). Factors influencing the decision to share cancer genetic results among family members: an in-depth interview study of women in an Asian setting. Psycho-Oncology, 27, 998-1004.
- Sun, Shirley. (2017). Socio-economics of Personalized Medicine in Asia. Routledge.
- Sun, Shirley Hsiao-Li, Chong Wen-Ee, and Lim, Si Hui. (2014). Gender and Divorce in Contemporary Singapore. Journal of Comparative Family Studies, 65(1), 127-143.
- Sun, Shirley Hsiao-Li. (2012). Population policy and reproduction in Singapore: Making future citizens. Routledge.
- Sun, Shirley Hsiao-Li. (2009). Re-producing Citizens: Gender, Employment, and Work-Family-Balance Policies in Singapore. Journal of Workplace Rights, 14(3), 351-374.
« Back to Research Directory