|Academic Profile |
| || |
Asst Prof Frantisek Kratochvil
Division of Linguistics and Multilingual Studies
School of Humanities and Social Sciences
College of Humanities, Arts, & Social Sciences
- PhD (Ling) Leiden University 2007
- MA (Dutch Lang & Lit) University of Nijmegen 2002
|Dr František Kratochvíl joined the Division of Linguistics and Multilingual Studies (School of Humanities and Social Sciences) in September 2010.|
František obtained his PhD in Linguistics from Leiden University (the Netherlands) in 2007 for a grammatical description of Abui, a non-Austronesian (Papuan) language of Alor (Eastern Indonesia).
After the completion of his PhD research, he joined the Research Centre for Linguistic Typology at La Trobe University, where he was awarded a post-doctoral fellowship. He continued his research on Abui and started research on Sawila and Suboo (both are Papuan languages of Alor).
In September 2009, František took up a lecturer position in the Department of English Language and Literature at Hong Kong Baptist University.
František is the author of three books, a number of articles and book chapters. He served as a reviewer for Oceanic Linguistics and John Benjamins.
|Papuan and Austronesian linguistics, Linguistic typology, Morphology, Grammaticalization, Verbal semantics, Stance, Deixis and Space (including Toponymy), Historical Linguistics, Malay, Indonesian|
- Academic Research Fund Tier 2 (2014-)
- MOE Tertiary Education Research Fund (2017-) [by MOE]
- Abui Tales of Origin
- Documentation and Analysis of Endangered Papuan Languages of Alor-Pnatar Archipelago, Southeast Indonesian
- Documentation of Zhongshan Min: Sustainability of dialectal islands in modernizing China
- Evaluating the Practical Side of Learning Comedy: Creativity, Collaboration and Communication
- Exploring the crossroads of linguistic diversity: language contact in S.E. Asia
- Grammar Matrix Reloaded: Syntax and Semantics of Affectedness
- Intergenerational and spatial cohesion of non-hierarchical language systems
- Toponymy and Language Shift: Aspects of Language Change in South-East Asia
- Boban Arsenijević, František Kratochvíl, and Joanna Sio Ut Seong. (2016). Equative and Simulative Demonstratives in Sinitic and Beyond. The 15th International Symposium on Chinese Languages and Linguistics (IsCLL-15).
- Morgado da Costa, Luis, Bond, Francis, and Kratochvíl, František. (2016). Linking and Disambiguating Swadesh Lists: Expanding the Open Multilingual Wordnet Using Open Language Resources. Globalex 2016 – Lexicographic Resources for Human Language Technology.
- František Kratochvíl and Luis Morgado da Costa. (2016, January). Extending lexical resources for Abui, a Papuan language – an update. Paper presented at 2nd Wordnet Bahasa Workshop: expanding to other South-East Asian languages, Nanyang Technological University, January 15-16, 2016.
- Kratochvíl, František and Benidiktus Delpada. (2015). Proceedings of the Second International Workshop on Information Structure of Austronesian Languages: Definiteness and specificity in Abui. Second International Workshop on Information Structure of Austronesian Languages (pp. 179-208)Tokyo: Research Institute for Languages and Cultures of Asia and Africa, Tokyo University of Foreign Studies.
- Perono Cacciafoco, Francesco, and Francesco Cavallaro, František Kratochvíl. (2015). Diachronic Toponomastics and Language Reconstruction in South-East Asia According to an Experimental Convergent Methodology: Abui as a Case-Study. Review of Historical Geography and Toponomastics, 10(19-20), 29-47.