|Academic Profile |
| || |
Prof Tjin Swee Chuan
Co-Director, The Photonics Institute
Director, Projects, President's Office
Executive Director, Office of Research & Technology for Defence & Security
School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 4845/65927936
Office: S2-B2c-82/ADM 03-12a
- PhD University of Tasmania 1992
- BSc(Hons) University of New England 1987
- BSc University of New England 1986
|Swee Chuan Tjin graduated from the University of New England, Armidale, Australia in 1987, received his PhD in 1992 from the Department of Medicine at the University of Tasmania, where he worked on Fibre Optic Laser Doppler Anemometry. |
He joined NTU in 1991 as a Lecturer in the School of EEE. He was appointed as the Coordinator for the Photonics Research Group in 2000 and became the Founding Director for the Photonics Research Centre from 2003 to 2008. He was concurrently appointed as the Co-Director of the Singapore-University of Washington Alliance in Bioengineering Programme (SUWA) from 2004 to 2007, managing a S$26M research funding from the Biomedical Research Council under the Agency for Science Technology and Research (A*STAR). He was also appointed as the Co-Director of the Thales@NTU Joint Research Laboratory from 2004 to 2009, which is the first satellite laboratory with a University that Thales Research & Technology (TRT) formed outside of Europe. This Joint Lab evolved with the inclusion of the Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (National Center for Scientific Research) or CNRS for short, into the CNRS-International-NTU-Thales Research Alliance (CINTRA) with an MOU signed on 7 Oct 2009. Swee Chuan was appointed as the Deputy Director of the Lab. From 2005 to 2008, Swee Chuan was appointed as the Assistant Director of Research, assisting the Director of Research to manage research proposals. He was appointed as Director, Research Support Office from 1 Sep 2008 to 31 March 2010. In July 2011, Swee Chuan currently holds several appointments, as Director (Projects) in the President’s Office, Co-Director of The Photonics Institute (TPI) and Associate Chair (Research) in the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering. He is also appointed as the Programme Manager for A*STAR’s Advanced Optics in Engineering Programme from 1 Nov 2012 to 31 Oct 2015.
Swee Chuan’s research interests are in fibre optic sensors, biomedical engineering and biophotonics. Over the years, he has published more than 130 refereed journal papers and has filed 34 patents in fibre optic sensors, biomedical engineering and biophotonics. In Dec 2000, he pioneered a start-up company that manufactures fibre optic sensors which provides sensing solutions for civil and geotechnical applications. Dr. Tjin is also recognized by his peers for his effective communication skills and was awarded the College of Engineering Teaching Excellence Award and EEE Teaching Excellence Award in 2005 and 2012 respectively.
|Swee Chuan Tjin's research interests are in fibre optic sensors, biomedical engineering and biophotonics.|
- In-Country Fibre Capability Buildup
- Joint Collaboration between NTU and Thales
- Project Development of Technologies for Fabrication and Functionalisation of Microfibers for Sensing Heavy Metals Using Common Raman Spectrometry System
- Wen Bin Ji, Huan Huan Liu, Swee Chuan Tjin, Kin Kee Chow and Anthony Lim. (2012). Ultrahigh Senstivity refractive index sensor based on optical microfiber. IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, 24(20), 1872-1874.
- Jiang Meng, Lin Bo, Shum Perry Ping, Tjin Swee Chuan, Dong Xinyong and Sun Qizhen. (2011). Tunable microwave generation based on a dual-wavelength single-longitudinal-mode fiber laser using a phase-shifted grating on a triangular cantilever. Applied Optics, 50(13), 1900-1904.
- Bo Lin, Swee Chuan Tjin, Han Zhang, Dingyuan Tang, Sheng Liang, Jianzhong Hao, and Bo Dong. (2011). Dual-wavelength single-longitudinal-mode erbium-doped fiber laser based on inverse-gaussian apodized fiber Bragg Grating and its application in microwave generation. Optical Fiber Technology, .
- Y. Zhang, B. Lin, S. C. Tjin, H.Zhang, G. Wang, P. Shum, and X. Zhang. (2010). Refractive index sensing based on higher-order mode reflection of a microfiber Bragg grating. Optics Express, 18, 26345-26350.
- Rupali Suresh, Swee Chuan Tjin and S. Bhalla. (2009). Multi Components Force Measurement Using Embedded Fiber Bragg Grating. Optics & Laser Technology, 41(4), 431-440.