|Hyeokkoo Eric Kwon is an Assistant Professor of Information Technology and Operations Management in Nanyang Business School. He received his B.S. in Aerospace Engineering and Ph.D. in Management Engineering (Information Systems) from the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST). His research interests include mobile analytics of marketing, healthcare, FinTech, and social media in particular and economics of IT, big data analytics, and technology management in general. He has been closely working with a number of leading companies in diverse industries, including mobile marketing, telecom, banking, consumer/market research, healthcare, and F&B, for business analytics related projects and consulting works. Based on the industry collaboration, he has published in leading journals, including Information Systems Research, Journal of Management Information Systems, and Journal of Operations Management. His research has also been presented at leading conferences. He has been received a series of honors and awards for research, including Research Excellence Award by Nanyang Business School in 2019.|
See the Curriculum Vitae (CV): https://sites.google.com/view/erickwon
1. Yoonseock Son, Hyeokkoo Eric Kwon, Giri Kumar Tayi, and Wonseok Oh (2019) “Impact of Customers’ Digital Banking Adoption on Hidden Defection: A Combined Analytical-Empirical Approach,” Journal of Operations Management.
2. Anindya Ghose, Hyeokkoo Eric Kwon, Dongwon Lee, and Wonseok Oh (2019) “Seizing the Commuting Moment: Contextual Targeting based on Mobile Transportation Apps,” Information Systems Research (note: the authors are listed in alphabetical order).
3. Hyeokkoo Eric Kwon, Wonseok Oh, and Tae Kyung Kim (2017) “Platform Structures, Homing Preferences, and Homophilous Propensities in Online Social Networks,” Journal of Management Information Systems.
4. Hyeokkoo Eric Kwon, Hyunji So, Sang Pil Han, and Wonseok Oh (2016) “Excessive Dependence on Mobile Social Apps: A Rational Addiction Perspective,” Information Systems Research.
Selected Working Papers
1. Hyeokkoo Eric Kwon, Sanjeev Dewan, Wonseok Oh, and Tae Kyung Kim. “Digital Self-Regulation: The Impact of Using a Mobile Health Application on Personal Weight Management.”
2. Hyeokkoo Eric Kwon, Wonseok Oh, and Tae Hyun Kim. “One-Sided Competition in Two-Sided Mobile Social Platform Markets? An Organizational Ecology Perspective.”
3. Hyeokkoo Eric Kwon, Byung Cho Kim, and Wonseok Oh. “The Toll of IT Patent Trolls: Implications for Digital Innovation.”
4. Nakyung Kyung, Hyeokkoo Eric Kwon, and Sanghee Lim. “AI vs. Human: The Effect of Artificial Intelligence-Based Mobile Interventions on Health Behavior Change”
5. A Moving Target: Contextual Targeting and Promotion with Car-Navigation Apps with Wonseok Oh, Anindya Ghose, and Dongwon Lee.
6. Make Customers Walk: Promotion with Walking Apps and Customer Spending in a Mall with Nakyung Kyung
7. Reward Design for Healthcare Management with T. Ravichandran, and Nakyung Kyung.
Consulting and Data Analysis Experience
• SK telecom (#1 wireless service provider in Korea)
• T map (#1 car navigation app in Korea)
• SK Planet (leading mobile marketing platform provider in Korea)
• Shinhan Bank (leading bank in Korea)
• Daumsoft - Twitter data (leading unstructured big data analytics company in Korea)
• SPC Group (leading F&B conglomerate in Korea, including Dunkin’ Donuts and Baskin Robbins)
• Nielsen KoreanClick (leading market research firm in Korea, specialized in website and app usage measurement)
• Gallup Korea (leading market research firm in Korea, specialized in consumer surveys and interviews)
• HealthCo (pseudonym of a leading online and offline healthcare company in Korea)
• BankViet (pseudonym of a leading bank in Vietnam)
• WalkingApp (pseudonym of a leading walking app in Korea)
• KrMart (pseudonym of a leading retailer in Korea)
|My research interests lie principally in identifying how new IS technologies affect consumers and firms and what the corresponding implications are for firms and governments. This topic is particularly important because corporate strategies and government policies that are implemented without a thorough understanding of complex and dynamically evolving technologies can significantly diminish business profit and social welfare. Specifically, my research has been heavily oriented toward these domains: mobile analytics of marketing, healthcare, FinTech, and social media. I apply multiple quantitative methodologies, including econometric analyses, experiments, and hierarchical Bayesian models, with data collected from the firms with which I collaborate. I also employ analytical modeling approaches and agent-based simulation analyses to develop theoretical underpinnings for empirical validations or comprehend complex decision problems in a simplified structure.|
- Kyung N, Kwon HE, and Lim S. (2019). AI vs. Human: The Effect of Artificial Intelligence-Based Mobile Interventions on Health Behavior Change. Workshop on Information Systems and EconomicsMunich, Germany.
- Son Y, Kwon HE, Tayi GK, and Oh W. (2019). Impact of Customers’ Digital Banking Adoption on Hidden Defection: A Combined Analytical-Empirical Approach. Journal of Operations Management, .
- Ghose A, Kwon HE, Lee D, Oh W. (2019). Seizing the Commuting Moment: Contextual Targeting Based on Mobile Transportation Apps. Information Systems Research, 30(1), 154-174.
- Kwon HE, Dewan S, Oh W, and Kim TK. (2017). Proceedings of the 38th International Conference on Information Systems: Efficacy of a Health App for Obesity and Overweight Management: A Hidden Markov Model. International Conference on Information SystemsSeoul, Korea.
- Kwon HE, Oh W, and Kim TK. (2017). Platform Structures, Homing Preferences, and Homophilous Propensities in Online Social Networks. Journal of Management Information Systems, 34(3), 768-802.