|Academic Profile |
| || |
Asst Prof Elke E. Reinhuber
Assistant Professor, School of Art, Design and Media
Phone: +65 63168729
Office: ART 04 17
|Elke Reinhuber is not your average artist, because she became a specialist on choice, decision making and counterfactual thoughts in media arts. As a decidophobic in her own life, she explores in particular alternative layers of the here and now with immersive environments and expanded photography. |
Reinhuber teaches and researches as an assistant professor at Nanyang University in Singapore since July 2014. In 2013, she was awarded a practice-based doctorate degree in media arts at COFA, Sydney, suggesting the term 'Counterfactualism' as a new category for the arts and humanities, dealing with the retrospective analysis of turning points in life.
Later that year she worked as a visiting artist at the ZKM in Karlsruhe on an elaborate project about augmented reality; on behalf of the "Badisches Staatstheater", she developed a semi-circular video projection for the ballet production "Mythos", applying thermography.
Initially Elke Reinhuber received professional training as an industrial photographer and studied at the Berlin University of the Arts (UDK), as well as in London (Chelsea College), Bologna (Accademia di Belle Arti) and Sydney (SCA) before she started teaching at the Braunschweig University of the Arts (HBK) and establishing the department for Media Design at the German University in Cairo (GUC).
Her artwork was presented in several international institutions, most recently at ZKM Karlsruhe, Fotomuseum Winterthur and the Grid Photofestival Amsterdam and can be seen online on 'An Inquiry into Modes of Existence', commissioned by Bruno Latour in 2014.
|In her current artistic research, Elke Reinhuber investigates on the correlation between decisions and emotions and explores different strategies of visualisation and presentation. Her PhD thesis suggests 'Counterfactualism' as a new category for fine arts and humanity, dealing with the retrospective analysis of turning points in life.|
- Counterfactuals in Media Art
- Immersive Environments
- Virtual Reality
- Augmented Reality
- Imaging Technologies
- Expanded Photography
- Environmental Issues
- Tangible/Intangible: Exploring the possibilities of capturing multi-sensory impressions to create immersive Virtual Reality environments, exemplified with the forking path structure of the Yunnan Garden at NTU.
- The Decisive Moment in Mythology - An Artistic Research on Multi-Layered Tales in Immersive Environments, Applying Various Imaging Technologies to Explicate Counterfactual Thoughts
- Elke Reinhuber. (2017). Phasmagraphy: A potential future for artistic imaging. Technoetic Arts: A Journal of Speculative Research, 15(3), 261-273.
- Elke E. Reinhuber. (2017). The Urban Beautician: a practice of transferring ephemeral interventions in the public space via media into a work of art.. Lumina, 11(2), 60-81.
- Elke E. Reinhuber. (2016, November). Wind Back the Film of Life – Counterfactuals in Movies. Paper presented at International Conference on Philosophy and Film: The Real of Reality, ZKM Karlsruhe.
- Elke Reinhuber. (2016). Counterfactual Thoughts in Photography. The International Journal Of Arts Theory And History, 11(4), 11-18.
- Elke E. Reinhuber. (2016). VENOMENON – a multilayered visual experience. EVA (Electronic Visualisation of the Arts) conference, LondonLondon: BCS, British Computer Society.
« Back to Research Directory