|Academic Profile |
| || |
Asst Prof Edson C Tandoc Jr.
Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information
College of Humanities, Arts, & Social Sciences
Office: WKWSCI 02-39
- PhD University of Missouri 2013
- MA Nanyang Technological University 2008
- BA University of the Philippines 2003
|Edson C. Tandoc Jr. (Ph.D., University of Missouri) is an Assistant Professor at the Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information at the Nanyang Technological University in Singapore. His research focuses on the sociology of message construction. He has conducted studies on the construction of news and social media messages. His studies about influences on journalists have focused on the impact of journalistic roles and audience feedback on the various stages of the news gatekeeping process. His papers have won awards from the International Communication Association (ICA), World Communication Association (WCA), and the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC). His research has appeared in the following journals: Cyberpsychology, Behavior and Social Networking; Computers in Human Behavior; Public Understanding of Science; Health Communication; Asian Journal of Communication; Journal of Information, Technology and Politics; Social Indicators Research; Howard Journal of Communications; Journalism and Mass Communication Educator; Journalism Studies; Journalism Practice; Digital Journalism; Journalism: Theory, Practice and Criticism; and New Media & Society, among others. |
He earned his undergraduate journalism degree from the University of the Philippines (Summa cum Laude) and his master of mass communication degree from the Nanyang Technological University, where he was awarded the Media Development Authority Award (top MMC graduate).
You can find his updated CV at https://iamedson.wordpress.com/about/
|media gatekeeping, journalism studies, web analytics, social media, environmental journalism|
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2016-)
- Academic Research Fund Tier 2 (2016-)
- Academic Research Fund Tier 2 (2017-) [by Ministry of Education (MOE)]
- Start Up Grant (2014-2018)
- Assessing Social Media Literacy in Singapore
- Diffusion of News in an Age of Personal and Portable Interactive Devices
- Displacing the media displacement hypothesis: Are social media displacing traditional sources of news? Evidence from Singapore
- From Print to Digital: Re-Defining Narrativity for Interactive Digital Media
- What's the Buzz? Five Ways Buzzfeed is Transforming the Journalistic Field
- Tandoc, Edson & Jenkins, Joy. (2016). The BuzzFeedication of Journalism? How traditional news organizations talk about a new entrant to the journalistic field will surprise you!. Journalism, .
- Tandoc, Edson & Oh, Soo-Kwang. (2015). Small departures, big continuities: Norms, values, and routines in The Guardian's big data journalism. Journalism Studies, .
- Tandoc, Edson, Ferrucci, Pat, & Duffy, Margaret. (2015). Facebook use, envy, and depression among college students: Is Facebooking depressing?. Computers in Human Behavior, 43, 139-146.
- Tandoc, Edson & Thomas, Ryan. (2014). The ethics of web analytics: Implications of using audience metrics in news construction. Digital Journalism, 3(2), 243-258.
- Tandoc, Edson. (2014). Journalism is twerking? How web analytics is changing the process of gatekeeping. New Media and Society, 4(16), 559-575.