|Academic Profile |
| || |
Prof Quah Teong Ewe, Euston
School of Social Sciences
College of Humanities, Arts, & Social Sciences
- PhD National University of Singapore 1988
- MA University of Victoria 1984
- BA(Hons) Simon Fraser University 1982
|Professor Euston Quah is Head, Department of Economics ; Deputy Chair , Sustainable Earth Office and Chairman of the Senate Committee on University Policy Matters at the Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore. He was formerly Chair, School of Humanities and Social Sciences at NTU . Prior to joining NTU , Professor Quah was at the National University of Singapore (NUS) where he was Vice-Dean , Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences ; Deputy Director of the Public Policy Program(now called the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy) ; and headed the economics department there . A prolific writer , Professor Quah had published over 100 articles including journals such as World Development; Environment and Planning; Applied Economics; Journal of Economics ; Journal of Public Economic Theory ; Journal of Environmental Management ; Impact Assessment and Project Appraisal ; American Journal of Economics and Sociology; Bulletin of Economic Research ; European Journal of Law and Economics ; and International Review of Law and Economics , among others . His most recent work is a paper in an international publication on cost-benefit analysis by Oxford University Press, 2013 . Two books on Cost-Benefit Analysis was published by Routledge , UK in 2007(with E.J. Mishan) and 2012 respectively . He was also co-author of an Asian Edition of the best selling Principles of Economics Text with Gregory Mankiw published by Cengage (formerly Thomson , USA) , now a second edition in 2013. Professor Quah advises the Singapore Government in various Ministries and was a Member of the recent Prime Minister’s Economic Strategies Sub-Committee on Energy and the Environment , and served on the Committee of the Fare Review Mechanism of the Ministry of Transport. He presently sits on the Boards of Energy Market Authority , the Energy Studies Institute at NUS ; and the Complaints Committee of the Singapore Medical Council in addition to the NTU-National Health Group Aging Research Evaluations Committee. He is also a Review Panel Member for the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation project hosted by the Overseas Development Institute , London ; and a technical reviewer for the National Research Foundation (Singapore) , Humanities and Social Sciences Research Council (Canada) , and the Australian Research Council . Professor Quah is Editor of the Singapore Economic Review(since 2002) , and the President of the Economic Society of Singapore (since 2010) . He has been invited by Stanford University , Princeton University , the USA Inter-Pacific Bar Association , WWF for Asia , UNESCAP , Earth Institute of Columbia University (Asian Meetings) , ADBI and ADB to speak at their functions and conferences . In 2014, Professor Quah gave the World Economy Annual Asia Lecture at the international conference invited by the University of Nottingham, and sponsored by Wiley-Blackwell. Professor Quah has consulted/advised for PricewaterhouseCoopers ; Economica (Canada) ; Gentings International ; Singapore Government (various Ministeries, and Statutory Boards) ; World Bank and Asian Development Bank . He is one of the most highly cited and influential university economists in Singapore.|
|Professor Euston Quah's area of expertise are Environmental Economics, Resource Allocation and Cost-Benefit Analysis, Law and Economics and Household Economics.|
- Academic Research Fund Tier 1 (2017-) [by MOE]
- NRF CREATE (2014-)
- NRF CREATE (2014-2018)
- NRF TUM CREATE (2016-) [by TUM CREATE]
- Economic Growth and Environmental Security: Critical Priorities for Asian Governments
- Electrification Suite and Test Lab (ESTL)
- Environmental Valuation: The Intangible Costs of Haze Pollution
- Exploratory Research Investigating Transfrontier Externalities 91) Nature of the Problem (2) Identifying Actual Cases and (3) Existing Remedies
- FRS 3.2.1 - Purchase/ Investment Decisions
- FRS 3.2.3 - Instrument Choice
- Future Resilient Systems
- Future Resilient Systems Submodule 3.2.3: Instrument Choice
- Research on Nudges and Bill Payments
- Quah Teong Ewe. (2017). Using Cost-Benefit Analysis In Developed And Developing Countries: Is It The Same?. Annual Macroeconomic Review , .
- Quah Teong Ewe, Euston. (2015). Pursuing Economic Growth in Asia: The Environmental Challenge. The World Economy, 16, 1487-1503.
- quah teong ewe. (2014). Welfare perceptions of and public expenditure on environmental and non-environmental goods. Theoretical Economics Letters, .
- Quah Euston. (2013). The Globalization of Cost-Benefit Analysis in Environmental Policy. Accounting and Business Research, .
- Quah Teong Ewe, Euston and Shuntian Yao. (2012). Divorce and Matrimonial Property, Why Number of Divorce Cases Grows When Families Become Wealthier?. European Journal of Law and Economics, .