|Academic Profile |
| || |
Assoc Prof Arokiaswami Alphones
School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 4486
- PhD Kyoto Institute of Technology 1992
- MTech Indian Inst of Technology, Kharagpur 1984
- BTech(Hons) Anna University 1982
- BSc University of Madras 1979
|A Alphones (S’82-M’88-SM’98) received his B.Tech. from Madras Institute of Technology in 1982, M.Tech. from Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur in 1984 and Ph.D. degree in Optically Controlled Millimeter wave Circuits from Kyoto Institute of Technology (Japan) in 1992. He was a JSPS visiting fellow from 1996-97 at Japan. During 1997-2001, he was with Centre for Wireless Communications, National University of Singapore as Senior Member of Technical Staff, involved in the research on optically controlled passive/active devices. Since 2001, he is Associate Professor at the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.. He has more than 30 years of research experience. He is in the editorial review board of IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques and Microwave and Wireless Components Letters. He has published and presented over 300 technical papers in International Journals/ Conferences. His current interests are electro-magnetic analysis on planar RF circuits and integrated optics, metamaterials, microwave photonics, and hybrid fiber-radio systems. His research work has been cited in the book “Millimeter Wave and Optical Integrated Guides and Circuits”, Wiley Interscience publication. He has delivered tutorials and short courses in international conferences. He had written a chapter on “Microwave Measurements and Instrumentation” in Wiley Encyclopedia of Electrical and Electronic Engineering 2002, and a chapter on “Optically Controlled Phased Array Antennas for UWB RFID Reader” in Wiley’s Handbook of Smart Antennas and RFID Systems in 2010. He is a Senior Member of IEEE. He was involved with the organization of APMC’99, ICCS 2000, ICICS 2003, PIERS 2003, IWAT 2005, ISAP 2006, ICICS 2007, ICOCN 2008, APMC 2009, MWP 2011, RFIT 2012, TENCON 2016, PIERS 2017 and APMC 2019 conferences.|
|His current interests are electro-magnetic analysis on planar RF circuits and integrated optics, metamaterials, Periodic structures, microwave photonics, and wireless power transfer using metamaterials.|
- Engineered Thin Film Bulk Acoustic Wave (BAW) Filters for Wireless Applications
- K Agarwal, N Nasimuddin and A Alphones. (2014). Triple Band Compact Circularly Polarized Stacked Microstrip Antenna over Reactive Impedance Meta-surface for GPS Applications. IET Microwaves Antennas & Propagation, 8(13), 1057-1065.
- X Li, W Zhong, A Alphones, C Yu and Z Xu. (2014). Channel Equalization in Optical OFDM Systems Using Independent Component Analysis. Journal of Lightwave Technology , 32(18), 3206-3214.
- M Manisha, A Alphones, C Jin and Nasimuddin. (2014). Compact Leaky Wave Antenna with Periodical Slots on Substrate Integrated Waveguide. European Conference on Antennas and PropagationUSA: IEEE.
- X Li, W Zhong, A Alphones and C Yu. (2014). OFC 2014: Channel Equalization based on Independent Component Analysis for Coherent Optical PDM-OFDM. Optical Fiber Communications ConferenceUSA: Optical Society of America.
- X Li, W Zhong, A Alphones and C Yu. (2014). Channel Equalization using Independent Component Analysis in PDM-Co-OFDM. IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, 26(5), 497-500.