|A. "Unusual" Main Group Organometallic Chemistry
Our research group is focused on the synthesis of novel organometallic complexes derived from main group elements, particularly calcium, boron, aluminum, silicon and phosphorus, with emphasis on the elucidation of the electronic structures and unprecedented reactivates, which lead to the possible application in catalysis, activation of small molecules, organic synthesis and material sciences. One of our goals is to prepare new organometallic complexes with unusual oxidation state, coordination number and bonding.
B. Heterobimetallic Catalysts
We are interested in the synthesis of heterobimetallic complexes incorporated with two different main group elements or transition metals. It is anticipated that two metals with different properties combined together in a complex can apply synergetically to an entirely new electronic and chemical behavior, thus enabling possible new catalytic activity. Such complexes can be applied as catalysts in olefin polymerization and ring opening polymerization.
C. New pi-electron System
Our research is aimed at the synthesis of new pi-electron complexes containing organic pi-conjugated frameworks and main group elements. It is well known that organic pi-conjugated systems serve as electronic and optoelectronic devices due to the delocalization of pi-electron, while main group elements have unique electronic and structural properties. Incorporation of main group elements into the organic pi-conjugated systems can change their inherent functions, which lead to an entirely new electronic behavior. We anticipate that such pi-electron complexes can serve as new-generation optoelectronic devices
- Wing-Por Leung, Yuk-Chi Chan, Cheuk-Wai So, and Thomas C. W. Mak. (2016). Reactivity Study of a Pyridyl-1-azaallylgermanium(I) Dimer: Synthesis of Heavier Ether and Ester Analogues of Germanium. Inorganic Chemistry, 55(7), 3553-3557.
- Yeong, H.-X.; Xi, H.-W.; Li, Y.; Kunnappilly, S. B.; Chen, B.; Lau, K.-C.; Hirao, H.; So, C.-W.*. (2014). Zwitterionic Base-Stabilized Digermadistannacyclobutadiene and Tetragermacyclobutadiene. Chemistry - A European Journal, 19, 14726.
- Zhang, S.-H.; Xi, H.-W.; Lim, K. H.; So, C.-W.*. (2014). An Extensive sigma-, pi- and n-Electron Delocalized Si4 Ring. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 52, 12346.
- Chia, S.-P.; Li, Y.; So, C.-W.*. (2014). Synthesis and Characterization of a 2,6-Diiminophenylgermanium(II) Hydroxide, Azide, and Triazaphospole. Organometallics, 32, 5231.
- Chia, S.-P.; Li, Y.; Ganguly, R.; So, C.-W.*. (2014). Heteroleptic Germanium(II) and Tin(II) Chlorides Supported by Anionic Ligands Derived from 2,3-Dimethyl-1,4-diaza-1,3-butadiene. European Journal of Inorganic Chemistry, 2014, 526.