|Academic Profile |
| || |
Prof Guan Cuntai
Professor, School of Computer Science and Engineering
Prof Guan is currently a Professor & Program Director, Strategic Collaboration, in the School of Computer Science and Engineering, Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore. Prior to joining NTU in 2016, he was the founding Department Head of the Neural & Biomedical Technology Department and a Principal Scientist (RSE6) at the Institute for Infocomm Research (I2R), Agency for Science, Technology, and Research (A*SATR), Singapore. He is currently the Co-Director of the NTU-NNI Neurotechnology Fellowship Program. He serves on the Advisory Board of Elite Master Program in Neuroengineering, Technische Universität München (TUM), Germany. He is on the Steering Committee of Ageing Research Institute for Society and Education (ARISE), NTU. He serves as the Chief Scientist of Neeuro Pte Ltd, Singapore. He is also a scientific advisor to several other companies. He is a Fellow of IEEE.
He serves as an Associate Editor for IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Pattern Recognition, Neurocomputing, Brain-Computer Interfaces, Frontiers in Neuroscience, Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, and Guest-Editor for IEEE Computational Intelligence Magazine (2016). He is on the Advisory Board of IEEE Open Access Journal of Engineering in Medicine and Biology (OJEMB). He was on the IEEE Fellow Evaluation Committee for EMBS Society, 2018. He was an APSIPA Distinguished Lecturer, 2017-2018. He served as the General Co-Chair for IEEE ICAA’2018, Conference Chair for the Internet of Things (IoT) Asia 2015, and General Chair for the IEEE HealthCom 2008.
He served as the founding Co-Director of the Rehabilitation Research Institute of Singapore (RRIS). He served as the A*STAR MedTech Program Leader of Neuro-Technology. He was the Chair of Neuro-Technology Subpanel and a Member of the National Taskforce on Neurological & Sense Disorders, appointed by HBMS EXCO. He was a Member of the A*STAR Biomedical Engineering Program (BEP) Fund Review Panel. He served as the Chairman of IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Chapter, Singapore Section, 2010-2012. He was the President of Pattern Recognition and Machine Intelligence Association (PREMIA), Singapore, 2008-2010.
His research interests are in the fields of Brain-Computer Interfaces (BCI), Neural Signal Processing, Neural Image Processing, Machine Learning, Data Analytics, and Artificial Intelligence. He published 6 book chapters, 330 refereed journal and conference papers, and holds 25 granted patents and patent applications. He licensed numerous patents to USA and Singapore-based companies. He secured over $20M competitive research grant in the past few years. As a leading scientist in BCI field, he delivered more than 60 keynote speeches and invited talks (including the keynote, Brain-Computer Interfaces for Stroke Rehabilitation, at the opening ceremony of the 7th International BCI Meeting, Asilomar, USA, May 2018). He is a recipient of the Annual BCI Research Award, the IES Prestigious Engineering Achievement Award, Achiever of the Year (Research) Award, Finalist of President Technology Award, and winner of BCI Competitions.
He played a leadership role in establishing medical technology research and development in A*STAR. He was the A*STAR MedTech Program Leader of Neuro-Technology to lead and coordinate the neuro-technology effort at A*STAR. He initiated and co-established the Rehabilitation Research Institute of Singapore (RRIS) – an initiative between A*STAR, NTU, and National Health Group. He established medical research at the Institute of InfocommResearch including founding and directing the I2R Brain-Computer Interface Lab, the Neural & Biomedical Technology Department, and two sizeable medical-technology research programs (with a strength of 60-80). Under his leadership, his group licensed technologies to 10 companies, led to 3 start-up companies and 2 spin-off companies. Their licensees raised over $65M fund collectively.
|• Brain-Computer Interface|
• Machine learning
• Data Analytics
• Artificial Intelligence
• Neural Signal Processing
• Neural Image Processing
• Neural and Cognitive Processes and Rehabilitation
- Artificial Intelligence Research Institute (AI.R), NTU
- Brain-Computer Interface in Cognition and Rehabilitation
- Development of Interactive System for Brain-Computer Interfaces
- Effectiveness of A Brain-Computer Interface-based Programme for the Treatment of Autism Spectrum Disorders and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorders in Children: A Pilot Study
- Neurodevices Program Phase II: Wireless Implantable Neurodevice Microsystem for Neuroprosthesis & Neuroscience
- Program on Advanced Brain-Computer Interface Technologies for Mental Healthcare
- Research and development in the frontiers of Brain-Computer-Brain Interactions
- Oyeon Kwon, MinHo Lee, Cuntai Guan, Seong-Whan Lee. (2019). Subject-Independent Brain-Computer Interfaces Based on Deep Convolutional Neural Networks. IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, 2019, 1-13.
- Ravikiran Mane, Effie Chew, Kok Soon Phua, Kai Keng Ang, Neethu Robinson, A. P. Vinod, and Cuntai Guan. (2019). Prognostic and Monitory EEG-Biomarkers for BCI Upper-limb Stroke Rehabilitation. IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, 27(8), 1654-1664.
- Choon Guan Lim, Xue Wei Wendy Poh, Daniel Shuen Sheng Fung, Cuntai Guan, Dianne Bautista, Yin Bun Cheung, Haihong Zhang, Si Ning Yeo, Ranga Krishnan, Tih Shih Lee. (2019). A Randomized Controlled Trial of a Brain-Computer Interface based Attention Training Program for ADHD. PLoS ONE, 14(5), e0216225.
- Xiangting Bernice Lin, Tih-Shih Lee, Yin Bun Cheung, Joanna Ling, Shi Hui Poon, Leslie Lim, Hai Hong Zhang, Zheng Yang Chin, Chuanchu Wang, Ranga Krishnan, Cuntai Guan. (2019). Exposure Therapy with Personalized Real-Time Arousal Detection and Feedback to Alleviate Social Anxiety Symptoms in an Analogue Adult Sample: Pilot Proof-of-Concept Randomized Controlled Trial. JMIR Mental Health, 6(6), e13869.
- Fatemeh Fahimi, Zhuo Zhang, Wooi Boon Goh, Tih-Shih Lee, Kai Keng Ang, Cuntai Guan. (2019). Inter-subject transfer learning with end-to-end deep convolutional neural network for EEG-based BCI. Journal of Neural Engineering, 2019, 16(9), 026007.