|Academic Profile |
| || |
Prof Tan Kang Hai
Co-Director, Transport Research Centre @ NTU
School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
College of Engineering
Phone: (+65)6790 5285/5297
Office: N1.1-B3-03/ N1-01c-97
- PhD University of Manchester 1989
- BSc(Hons) University of Manchester 1986
|Prof Tan Kang Hai is Associate Chair (Research) in the School of Civil & Environmental Engineering. He received his Bachelor and PhD degrees in Civil Engineering from the University of Manchester. His research interests include structural fire engineering, strut and tie modelling of reinforced concrete structures, composite steel joints, heat transfer analysis and evacuation modelling. He has published over 80 top quality international journal papers and another 90 or so international conference papers. He has often been invited as a reviewer for ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, Engineering Structures, ACI Strucutural Journal and Journal of Constructional Steel Research. He also serves as a member of review panel for the UK EPSRC on research proposals related to structural fire engineering. He serves as a technical committee member of a few international conferences, including co-Chairman of Structures-in-Fire 2008 International Conference. Dr. Tan is a Professional Engineer in Singapore, and is currently Deputy Director of Protective Technology Research Centre.|
|A/P Tan's research interests include structural fire engineering, strut and tie modelling of reinforced concrete structures, progressive collapse analysis and testing of structures, finite element programs for heat transfer analysis and nonlinear structural analysis and evacuation modelling using cellular automata.|
- An Integrated Multiple-Hazards Research Programme for Resilient Structures - Project title: Effects of Catenary and Membrane Actions on the Collapse Mechanisms of RC Buildings – Behaviors of Structural Elements
- Application of engineering cementitious composites (ECC) and blast detailing on national critical infrastructures against blast loading
- Building Security Research - MHA (Overhead)
- DEPATHSS: Dynamic Egress PlAnning ThrougH valid Symbiotic Simulation.
- Development of Analytical Tools for Progressive Collapse Analysis due to Terrorist Bombing (1 of 2)
- Development of Analytical Tools for Progressive Collapse Analysis due to Terrorist Bombing (2 of 2)
- Environmentally Friendly Degragmentation of Reinforced Concrete Elements with Simultaneous Production of Recycled Aggregate (RA) of Controlled Quality and Their Incorporation in Novel Cement Mixes
- Explore Concept of Membrane Action in Slabs to Reduce Fire Protection for Beams
- Fire Retarding ceUHPFC Structure for Underground Applications
- Fire and corrosion resistant coatings for steel structures
- GIS-based Lifecycle Durability Assessment of Underground Infrastructures
- Generation III Coatings: Fire Resistance and Beyond
- Implementation Agreement To Develop A Design Guideline And Analytical Tool To Mitigate Progressive Collapse Of Buildings Against Explosive Effects (GPC)
- Integrated Structures and Materials Design for Precast Concrete 66kV Substation against Progressive Collapse
- Life Safety and Structural Fire Safety of Mega Underground Caverns in Singapore
- Material properties of recycled concrete for structural applications
- Modelling of Fibre-Reinforced Polymer (FRP) Strengthened Reinforced Concrete Walls subject to Blast and Fragment Loadings
- Proof-Of-Concept, Proof-Of-Value and Test-Bedding in Smart Integrated Construction System
- Structural Resilience Study of Concrete Precast and Composite Steel Joints Subject to Missing Column Scenario
- The behaviour and design of innovative composite concrete-steel structural system
- Wang Z.H and Tan K.H. (2008). Radiative heat transfer for structural members exposed to fire: An analytical approach. Journal of Fire Sciences, 26(2), 133-152.
- Tan, K.H., Yuan W.F. (2008). Buckling of Elastically Restrained Steel Columns under Longitudinal Non-Uniform Temperature Distribution. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 64(1), 51-61.
- Zhang N
Tan K.H. (2007). Size effect in RC deep beams: Experimental investigation and STM verification. Engineering Structures, 29(12), 3241-3254.
- Zhang Ning, Tan, K.H. (2007). Direct Strut-and-Tie Model for single span and continuous deep beams. Engineering Structures, 29(11), 2987-3001.
- Hu Ou'er, Tan, K.H., Liu Xiuhua. (2007). Behaviour and Strut-and-Tie Predictions of High-Strength Concrete Deep Beams with Trapezoidal Web Openings. Magazine of Concrete Research, 59(7), 529-541.
« Back to Research Directory