|Academic Profile |
| || |
Prof Harianto Rahardjo
Professor, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Phone: +65 67905246
Office: N1 01B 36
|Professor Rahardjo has conducted extensive research on unsaturated soil mechanics to solve geotechnical problems associated with tropical residual soils, swelling and collapsible soils. His current research focus is on rainfall-induced landslides, one of the major environmental problems affecting many countries in tropical regions. This research activity has led to the development of unsaturated tropical soil engineering laboratory in Nanyang Technological University (NTU). He is the co-author of the first textbook on unsaturated soils “Soil Mechanics for Unsaturated Soils”, by Fredlund, D.G. and Rahardjo, H. (1993), John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 517 pages and over 200 technical publications. He has also presented his research works in many keynote / invited lectures and short courses in various countries. He is Core Member of the TC6 Committee of International Society of Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (ISSMGE) on Unsaturated Soils and Member of the Asian Technical Committee on Geotechnical Natural Hazards (ATC3).|
|Rainfall - induced landslides: mechanism, assessment, characterisation, instrumentation and preventive measures
Unsaturated Soil Mechanics: laboratory testing, field measurements and numerical modelling
Behaviour of tropical soils: shear strength, air and water flows, suction measurements
Soil improvement for tree stability
Laboratory soil testing for saturated and unsaturated soils
Specialised soil testing techniques and their interpretation
Analytical techniques in geotechnical engineering
- Assessment of Climatic Factors on Slope Stability.
- Direct Contracting With NTU On Training Services For Advanced Slope Engineering Based On Theory Of Unsaturated Soil Mechanics
- Direct contracting with NTU on training services for advances slope engineering based on therory of unsaturated soil mechanics
- Eye On Trees (EOT) – Development of an Omni-directional Inclinometer for Assessing Tree Stability
- Geobarrier System for Use in Underground Structure
- Nanyang Edu Award 2014
- New soil-water management technologies for sustainable urban greenery
- Politecnico Di Torino-NTU Joint R&D.Hydraulic Behaviour of Unsaturated Soil as Affected by Volume Changes.
- Slope repair and technology in Singapore
- Soil Improvement for Tree Stability (1 of 2)
- The Development of Slope Management and Susceptibility Geographical Information System
- WP3-Climate Change Impact on Urban Tree Resilience
- Rahardjo, H, A. Satyanaga, E.C. Leong. (2008). Role of Real Time-Monitoring in Slope Stability. KEYNOTE LECTURE. International Seminar on Civil and Infrastructure Engineering 2008 for Environmental Sustainability (pp. 1-20).
- Rahardjo, H., R.B. Rezaur, E.C. Leong, E.E. Alonso, A. Lloret, and A. Gens. (2008). Monitoring and Modeling of Slope Response to Climate Changes - KEYNOTE LECTURE. Proceedings of the 10th International Symposium on Landslides and Engineered Slopes (pp. 67-84).
- Rahardjo, H., H. Krisdani, E.C. Leong, Y.S. Ng, M.D. Foo and C.L. Wang. (2007). Unsaturated Soil Mechanics for Solving Seepage and Slope Stability Problems - KEYNOTE LECTURE. Proceedings of Twelfth International Colloquium on Structural and Geotechnical Engineering. 10-12 December (pp. 1-38).
- Rahardjo, H., T.H. Ong, R.B. Rezaur and E.C. Leong. (2007). Factors Controlling Instability of Homogeneous Soil Slopes under Rainfall Loading. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 133(12), 1532-1543.
- Rahardjo, H. and E.C. Leong. (2006). Suction Measurements-KEYNOTE LECTURE. Proceedings of 4th International Conference on Unsaturated Soils, Geo Institute, Phoenix, Arizona (pp. 81-104)ASCE.
« Back to Research Directory