|Academic Profile |
| || |
Assoc Prof Kang Soon Lee, Eugene
Division of Strategy, Management and Organisation
College of Business (Nanyang Business School)
Phone: (+65)6790 5667
- PhD Texas A&M University 2005
- BAcc(Hons) Nanyang Technological University 1994
|Eugene is an Associate Professor in the Division of Strategy, Management & Organization (SMO) at the Nanyang Business School (NBS), Nanyang Technological University (NTU). He received his PhD from the Mays Business School, with a major in Strategic Management and minors in International Business and Sociology. |
Eugene is an alumnus of NTU with a first class honors degree in Accounting. Prior to joining NTU, Eugene was an Assistant Head at the Singapore Economic Development Board. He was also a Systems Analyst at Esso Singapore Pte Ltd and an Auditor at Ernst & Young.
Eugene adopts an interdisciplinary perspective in his research, which primarily examines corporate governance and related strategic management issues. He won the Research Excellence Award (SMO) in 2011. He has published in journals of various disciplines, such as Academy of Management Journal, Organization Science, Corporate Governance-An International Review, Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Small Business Economics, Management and Organization Review, Service Business and Deviant Behavior. His papers have been presented at international management conferences organized by the Academy of Management, Strategic Management Society and Academy of International Business. He also serves on the Editorial Review Board of several journals. He frequently contributes his opinions in media and practitioner outlets on topics related to corporate governance, in particular on board of directors.
Eugene also teaches strategic management at the undergraduate, masters and doctoral programmes in NBS. He was nominated the Teacher of the Year (Business) at NBS in 2010. He also won the Teacher of the Year award in the Nanyang MBA programme (Core Course) in 2018.
Eugene is the faculty advisor to Business Solutions, a student-driven initiative that promotes the business case culture at NBS. He is also a member of the Advocacy & Research Committee at the Singapore Institute of Directors. He served as an examiner with the Institute of Singapore Chartered Accountants.
|Eugene's primary research interests are in the areas of corporate boards, director interlocks and spillover effects.|
- The impact of corporate governance structures and governance decisions on firms’ exploratory and exploitative innovations.
- Kang, Eugene. (2019). Responding positively to the nine-year rule. The Business Times, Forthcoming.
- Kang, Eugene & Chintakananda, Asda. (2018). Mitigating negative spillovers from categorization of foreign-listed firms: The role of host-country independent directors. Management and Organization Review, Forthcoming.
- Thosuwanchot, Nongnapat and Kang, Eugene. (2018, August). Retiring CEOs and temporal orientation: The roles of CEO compensation and equity ownership. Paper presented at Academy of Management Conference in Chicago.
- Zardkoohi, Asghar; Kang, Eugene; Fraser, Don & Cannella, Albert. (2018). Managerial risk-taking behavior: A too-big-to-fail story. Journal of Business Ethics, 149(1), 221-233.
- Kang, Eugene. (2017). Disconnects on diversity. The Directors' Bulletin, Quarter 4, 6-11.
« Back to Research Directory