|Academic Profile |
| || |
Assoc Prof Anilkumar K Samtani
Head, Division of Business Law
|Samtani Anil is an Associate Professor of Law at the Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore and the Head of the Division of Business Law at the Nanyang Business School. |
Samtani is also concurrently a Senior Fellow of the IP Academy and a Fellow of the Renaissance Engineering Programme. In addition, he is a member of the NTU Senate and the Senior Faculty-in-Residence of Hall 8 at NTU.
Samtani specializes in the areas of intellectual property law and information technology law. He speaks regularly at international conferences and his articles have appeared in top-tiered journals such as the European Intellectual Property Review, the Intellectual Property Quarterly, IIC: International Review of Intellectual Property and Competition Law and the International Journal of Law and Information Technology.
Samtani is a past recipient of the Fulbright Scholarship, the ECAP II Postgraduate Intellectual Property Rights Scholarship (awarded by the European Commission) and the Nanyang Technological University’s Researcher of the Year (Division of Business Law), Teacher of the Year (Division of Business Law) and Teacher of the Year (Renaissance Engineering Programme) awards. He has also previously held visiting scholarship stints at the Munich Intellectual Property Law Centre at the Max Planck Institute in Germany, the Queen Mary Intellectual Property Research Institute at the University of London, the Berkeley Center for Law & Technology and the Boalt Hall School of Law at the University of California at Berkeley.
Samtani has conducted training for organizations such as the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), WTO, UNICEF and UNESCO and the governments of Japan, South Korea, New Zealand, Thailand, Singapore and the Philippines and has, to date, trained and lectured to academics, government officials and private practitioners from more than 70 countries. His previous appointments include being Deputy Director of the Centre for Asia Pacific Technology Law and Policy (CAPTEL) and Chair of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)’s Membership Implementation Task Force for East Asia.
Samtani was also a member of the Advisory Panel of the IP Academy as well as the Singapore Ministry of Law’s Intellectual Property sub-committee (Building World Class Intellectual Property Capabilities and Infrastructure) which culminated in the preparation of the Singapore IP Hub Masterplan. He was also the Singapore Project Leader and Legal Lead for the Creative Commons Project and successfully spearheaded and oversaw the launch of the Singapore Creative Commons licences.
|Prof Samtani's areas of expertise are in intellectual property law and information technology law. His current research works focus on trademarks and bilateralism in intellectual property rule-making.|
- Eugene C. Lim, Samtani Anil. (2019). Acoustic Branding, Non-Traditional Trademarks and the Graphical Representation Requirement: A Conceptual and Empirical Analysis. European Intellectual Property Review, 41(1), 5 - 13.
- Samtani Anil. (2012). Virtual Property: A Theoretical and Empirical Analysis. European Intellectual Property Review, 34(3), 188 to 202.
- Samtani Anil. (2012). Trade Marks That Are Contrary To Public Policy or Morality: The Search For The Right-Thinking Man. Intellectual Property Quarterly, (1), 39 to 63.
- Samtani, A. (2009). Smell Marks – A Singapore Study and the Implications for the Commercial Use and Exploitation of Non-traditional Trademarks. IIC International Review of Intellectual Property and Competition Law, 40(6/2009), 698 - 714.
- Anilkumar K Samtani. (2007). Non-traditional Trade Marks: A Singapore Perspective. Journal of Intellectual Property Law and Practice, 3(3), 180-184.
« Back to Research Directory