|Academic Profile |
| || |
Asst Prof Althaf Marsoof
Division of Business Law
College of Business (Nanyang Business School)
Phone: (+65)6790 5648
- PhD King's College London 2017
- MPhil University of Queensland 2013
- LLM (Hons) Cambridge University 2010
- BSc Curtin University of Technology 2008
|Althaf Marsoof joined the Division of Business Law of the Nanyang Business School (NBS) as an Assistant Professor in May 2017. Prior to joining the NBS, he spent three years at the Dickson Poon School of Law at King’s College London, where he completed his Doctoral research investigating approaches to, and challenges in, holding internet intermediaries accountable for infringements of trademark rights. His research was fully funded by the Dickson Poon PhD Scholarship grant. Prior to moving into full-time academia, he worked for over six years as a State Counsel attached to the Attorney General’s Department in Sri Lanka. He holds a Bachelor of Science in the field of information technology from the Curtin University (Australia) and a Master of Laws (with first class honours) from the University of Cambridge (UK). He spent a year in Australia researching on the applicability of Australian laws relating to trademarks and consumer protection, as well as common law tort principles, to the context of trademark infringements committed in the online environment. This research was the basis for his MPhil thesis at the University of Queensland, which was supported by two grants–the International Postgraduate Research and Centennial scholarships. |
Professional memberships and affiliations:
International Association for the Advancement of Teaching and Research in Intellectual Property (ATRIP): Member (since Aug 2018)
Higher Education Academy of the UK: Fellow (since Mar 2017)
Applied Research Centre for Intellectual Assets and the Law in Asia (ARCIALA), Singapore Management University: Visiting Researcher (Jul 2016 - Jul 2017)
Intellectual Property Division of LAWASIA: Member (2016-2017)
Bar Association of Sri Lanka: Member (since Dec 2007)
For a full list of his publications, please visit: https://althafmarsoof.academia.edu/
|Intellectual Property Law and Information Technology Law ; Commercial Law ; Public Law|
- Roy A & A Marsoof. (2018). The brave new world of ICANN's "new gTLDs": an overview. European Intellectual Property Review, 40(10), 649-658.
- Marsoof A. (2018). Book Review [Review of the book Book Review] Pacific Affairs, -- (--), 1-4.
- Marsoof A.(2018). Local Working of Patents: The Perspective of Developing Countries. Multi-dimensional Approaches Towards New Technology: Insights on Innovation, Patents and Competition(315-37). Singapore: Springer (Open Access).
- Marsoof A. (2018). Does Sri Lanka Need a System for Registering Geographical Indications?. European Intellectual Property Review, 40(3), 165-172.
- Roy A & A Marsoof. (2018). A Critical Review of the Australian Approach to Tackling Online Copyright Infringement. European Intellectual Property Review, 40(1), 41-47.
« Back to Research Directory