|Academic Profile |
| || |
Prof Low Buen Sin
Associate Dean (China Programmes), College of Business (Nanyang Business School)
Professor (Practice), College of Business (Nanyang Business School) - Division of Banking & Finance
|Professor Low Buen Sin is the Associate Dean for China Programs (since Feb 2017) and Professor of Finance. He was formerly Associate Dean of Executive Programs from 2014 to September 2018, and Director of the MSc (Financial Engineering) Program from 2004 to 2010.|
In addition to these service roles, Buen Sin is an outstanding educator and his research has had significant impact on practice. He has received several awards during his years at NBS:
• NTU Researcher of the Year Award for Banking and Finance in 2005;
• MSc (Financial Engineering) Program Teacher of the Year Award in 2007;
• Best Teacher Award for the Banking and Finance Division in 2008; and
• EMBA Program Best Teacher Award in 2012.
His publications have appeared in the Journal of Financial Economics, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Journal of Futures Markets, Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, among others. In 2017 he co-authored a professional textbook on Business Valuation.
Buen Sin has deep industry experience and he has been actively involved in industry consultation and in-house executive training for major organizations in the public and private sectors. Some of these organizations include: AIA, Bank of China, China Merchant Bank, Citigroup, DBS, Ernst & Young, HSBC, KPMG, Singapore Stock Exchange, ST Engineering, UBS, and the United Nations.
He currently serves as a member of Valuation Review Board, Ministry of Finance (since 2019), a Council of Institute of Appraisers and Valuers of Singapore (IVAS) (since 2013), and a member of the Advisory Committee for the Nanyang Polytechnic, School of Business Management (since 2011). He has served as a member of the Learning & Assessment Committee-Professional Programme (Singapore Chartered Accountant Qualification), Singapore Accountancy Commission (2017-2019). Buen Sin was awarded the National Day Award 2019 under the category Public Administration Medal (Bronze), in recognition of his contributions and service.
He is a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Certified Public Accountant (Singapore) and Chartered Valuer and Appraiser (CVA).
|Business valuation, Derivative Securities, and Investment.|
- How Important is Corporate Governance after Enron?
- Research projects in Finance
- Xin Deng, Jun-Koo Kang, and Buen Sin Low. (2013). Corporate Social Responsibility and Stakeholder Value Maximization: Evidence from Mergers. Journal of Financial Economics, 110, 87-109.
- Charlie Charoenwong, Nattawut Jenwittayaroje and Low Buen Sin. (2009). Who knows more about future currency volatility?. The Journal of Futures Markets, 29(3), 270-295.
- Low Buen Sin, Zhang Shaojun. (2005). The Volatility Risk Premium Embedded in Currency Options. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 40(4), 803-832.
- Vicentiu Covrig, David Ding, Low Buen Sin. (2004). Price Discovery in Informationally-Linked Markets: A Microstructure Analysis of Nikkei 225 Futures. The Journal of Futures Markets, 24(10), 981-1004.
- Vicentiu Covrig, Low Buen Sin, Michael Melvin. (2004). A Yen is not a Yen: TIBOR/LIBOR and the determinants of the Japan Premium. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 39(1), 193-208.