|Academic Profile |
| || |
Assoc Prof Chong Beng Soon
Division of Banking & Finance
College of Business (Nanyang Business School)
Phone: (+65)6790 6269
- PhD Washington University 1990
- MA Washington University 1988
- MS Southern Illinois University 1986
- BS Southern Illinois University 1984
|Prior to joining NTU, Professor Chong worked in the industry as the Head of Research at BNP-PrimeEast (Malaysia) and Alor Star Securities, and as Senior Banking Analyst at Nikko Securities. He had also previously taught at Washington University and the University of Dayton. |
Professor Chong’s areas of expertise are in Banking and Corporate Finance. His research articles are published in The Review of Economics and Statistics, Financial Management, Journal of Banking and Finance, Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Pacific Basin Finance Journal, and Advances in Pacific Basin Financial Markets.
Professor Chong’s paper on “Islamic Banking: Interest-free or Interest-based” is the Most Downloaded article in the Pacific-Basin Finance Journal. His research on “The Financing Structures of Firms with Poor Corporate Governance” received a Best Paper Award at the 2007 International Conference on Economics, Finance and Accounting in Taiwan. Another paper on "The Impact of Universal Banking on the Risks and Returns of Japanese Financial Institutions," won the Chicago Board Options Exchange competitive research award at the PACAP Conference in 1995.
Professor Chong is recognized for his teaching excellence. He received the Nanyang Fellows MBA Teacher of the Year Award in 2013 and the MBA Teacher of the Year Award in 2009. And, in 2001, he received the Best Teacher Award for the Banking & Finance Division at Nanyang Technological University.
- A Study on Alternative Credit Rating Model
- Chong, B.S. and Z.B. Liu. (2015). CAR Associated With SEO Share Lockups: Real or Illusionary?. Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, forthcoming.
- Chareonwong, C., B. S. Chong, and Y. C. Yang. (2014). Asset Liquidity and Stock Liquidity: International Evidence. Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, 41(3-4), 435-468.
- Chong, Beng Soon. (2010). Interest rate deregulation: Monetary policy efficacy and rate rigidity. Journal of Banking and Finance, 34, 1299-1307.
- Chong Beng Soon, Liu Ming-Hua. (2009). Islamic Banking: Interest-Free or Interest-Based?. Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, 17(1), 125-144.
- Chong Beng Soon, Ho Kim Wai. (2007). Lockup and Voluntary Earnings Forecast Disclosure in IPOs. Financial Management, 36(3), 63-80.
« Back to Research Directory