|Asst Prof Chen Gang||Dr Gang CHEN has been interested in probing the molecular recognition interactions responsible for RNA structures, stabilities, dynamics, and functions since 2001. He has worked on a variety of RNA structures including non-Watson-Crick base pairs (such as isoG-isoC, G-A, A-A, U-U, U-C, G-U, and A-C pairs), base triples, and pseudoknots. The triplex structures present in RNA pseudoknots inspired the current work on targeting RNA by dsRNA-binding chemically modified peptide nucleic acids (PNAs, see below), which show selective recognition of dsRNAs over ssRNAs and dsDNAs.
1. Yang, L., Zhong, Z., Tong, C., Jia, H., Liu, Y., and Chen, G.* (2018) Single-molecule mechanical folding and unfolding of RNA hairpins: Effects of single A-U to A∙C pair substitutions and single proton binding and implications for mRNA structure-induced −1 ribosomal frameshifting. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 140, 8172-8184. (IF: 14.357)
2. Patil, K.M., Toh, D.F.K., Yuan, Z., Meng, Z., Shu, Z., Zhang, H., Ong, A.A.L., Krishna, M.S., Lu, L., Lu, Y.,* and Chen, G.* (2018) Incorporating uracil and 5-halouracils into short peptide nucleic acids for enhanced recognition of A-U pairs in dsRNAs. Nucleic Acids Res. 46, 7506-7521. (IF: 11.561)
3. Krishna, M.S., Toh, D.F.K., Meng, Z., Ong, A.A.L., Wang, Z., Lu, Y., Xia, K., Prabakaran, M., and Chen, G.* (2019) Sequence- and structure-specific probing of RNAs by short nucleobase-modified dsRNA-binding PNAs incorporating a fluorescent light-up uracil analog. Anal. Chem., 91, 5331-5338. (IF: 6.042)
4. Kesy, J., Patil, K.M., Kumar, S.M. Shu, Z., Yee, Y.H., Zimmermann, L., Ong, A.A.L., Toh, D.F.K., Krishna, M.S., Yang, L., Decout, J.L., Luo, D., Prabakaran, M.,* Chen, G.,* and Kierzek, E.* (2019) A short chemically modified dsRNA-binding PNA (dbPNA) inhibits influenza viral replication by targeting viral RNA panhandle structure. Bioconjugate Chem., 30, 931-943. (IF: 4.485)
5. Puah, R.Y. Jia, H., Maraswami, M., Toh, D.F.K., Ero, R., Yang, L., Patil, K.M., Ong, A.A.L., Krishna, M.S., Sun, R., Tong, C., Huang, M., Chen, X., Loh, T.P., Gao, Y.G., Liu, D.X.,* and Chen, G.* (2018) Selective binding to mRNA duplex regions by chemically modified peptide nucleic acids stimulates ribosomal frameshift. Biochemistry 57, 149-159. (IF: 2.997)
6. Toh, D.F.K., Devi, G., Patil, K.M., Qu, Q., Maraswami, M., Xiao, Y., Loh, T.P., Zhao, Y.,* and Chen, G.* (2016) Incorporating a guanidine-modified cytosine base into triplex-forming PNAs for the recognition of a C-G pyrimidine-purine inversion site of an RNA duplex. Nucleic Acids Res. 44, 9071-9082. (IF: 11.561)
7. Devi, G., Yuan, Z., Lu, Y., Zhao, Y.,* and Chen, G.* (2014) Incorporation of thio-pseudoisocytosine into triplex-forming peptide nucleic acids for enhanced recognition of RNA duplexes. Nucleic Acids Res. 42, 4008-4018. (IF: 11.561)