|Assoc Prof Chul Heo||Chul's scholarly interests focus on the study of production culture and aesthetics of film and television with a critical cultural studies approach. In particular, he is interested in critical and aesthetic implications of the look and sound of film and television, e.g. production design and sound design. To understand production culture of film and television, he pays attention to people who make creative decisions to deal with production conventions, creative rights, constraints and possibility in their institutional contexts, and the imagined audience in production process.
- Imagined Audience in Media Production
- Production Culture: Convention, Aesthetics, and Style
- Media and the Public Sphere
- Cultural Politics of Sound and Production Design
- Digital technology and Filmmaking: Data Mining and Media Production
- Production Culture of South East Asian Cinema and Korean Cinema
- Documentary: History, Theory, and Aesthetics
Selected Creative Works
Feature Films, Theatrical release nationwide.
- The Return (2017, 96 min., 4K HD), Director/Writer. Narrative feature. (in Korean w/English-French subtitles), Commercial release on Dec. 7, 2017; Golden Zenith Award, the 41st Montreal World Film Festival; Ulju Mountain Film Festival; Jeonju International Film Festival; Asian Film Festival of Dallas.
- Mira Story (2014/2015, 84 min., HD), Director/Writer/Producer. Documentary feature. (in Korean w/English subtitles), Commercial release on Jan. 15, 2015; Seoul Green Film Festival.
- Ari Ari the Korean Cinema (2011/2012, 83 min., HDV), Director/Writer/Producer. Documentary feature. (in Korean w/English subtitles). Commercial release on Dec. 10, 2012; Busan International Film Festival, Seoul Independent Documentary Film Festival, Korean Film Festival in Bhutan; Paris Korean Film Festival
- The Secret of Hanji Craft (2014/2015, 10 min., HD), Producer/Director. Short film. (in Korean w/English-French subtitles), New FIFMA programme at Empreintes, France, Sep. 12 - Dec. 31, 2017; Singuliers Objets, Plessis Robinson, France, Dec. 09 - 10, 2017; Festival de Metiers d'art, Deauville, France, July 14-17, 2017; Revelation International Fine Craft & Creation Biennial 2017, Paris, France, May 2017.
- Kismet (2013, 30 min., HD), Producer/Director. (in Korean w/Turkish subtitles), Istanbul-Gyeongju World Culture Expo 2013, Istanbul, Turkey. August 31-September 22, 2013.
- Constancy and Change in Korean Craft Arts (2013, 60 min., HD), Producer/Director. (in Korean w/English subtitles), Hidden Match ― An Exhibition of Korean Craft, National Museum in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. November 24 - December 23, 2013; Taiwan International Cultural and Creative Industry Expo, Taipei, Taiwan. November 21-24, 2013; Milan Design Week, the Triennale Design Museum, Milano, Italy. April 9 - 14, 2013.
- The Job (2006, SD). Producer. thirteen 30-min. episodes for TVK-24, Comcast cable in Southern California. (In English)
- Between Two Worlds (1996/1998, 30 min., SD), Director/Writer/Producer. (In English), National broadcast on PBS in the United States, 1996. Distributed nationwide in America by UC Berkeley Center for Media and Independent Learning, 1998-2003; Rochester International Film Festival; Sinking Creek Film Festival; VideoScape Asian American Video Showcase; Busan Universiade for Digital Contents; Williams College; UC Davis Asian Pacific Film Fest; Korean American Film Festivals in San Francisco, Chicago, & NYC.